Used 1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

3.1 gives great milage
By Tom

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I drove this as a co car since new. Bought it back from Co. at 140,000 miles Always had it serviced by Curt Warner Chev of Van.,WA. I now change the oil/filters. Took trip to Wisconsin this summer and got great mileage. Avg total trip was 30mpg. Never had problems other than normal battery replacements, radiator flush, fuel pump replaced. (in tank preventative.) Change oil every 3000 miles for sure. Keep good tires, brakes, and alignment. Great car.

Comfortable seats. Smooth tranny. Nice large rear doors. Smooth engine. Aerodynamic design for mileage. Not boxy. Bright daytime running lights.

Better coffee cup holders. Adjustable visors for swing to window. Go strong on the visor clips. (all of this said for newer GM products of course) My 2005 UPLANDER Van has good visors/clips.

Good Car
By Craig

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 72k miles for $1500 dollars. A friend was buying a new F150 and $1500 was all the dealer was going to give him, so he sold it to me for that. I immediately had to do the notorious intake gasket replacement at the popular $800 cost. Besides that it is the best darned $2300 purchase I've ever made. It has 153k miles on it now and still gets close to 30 on the highway and 24 mpg on my 22 mi daily commute to/from work. Good in the snow which is a plus in NE Ohio. I did have to replace the gas tank at 150k, thanks again to the NE Ohio winters. The engine thermostat is impossible to get to for the average garage mechanic...$200 to have the thermostat replaced.

Reliability,gas mileage, and traction is snow. Mine is really stripped down, no cruise, manual windows, AM/FM only so I can't really identify and features.

Body surface rust where paint came off. This is typical with GM cars that I have bought.

Best Car I Ever Owned
By Gracejo

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is the most reliable car I've ever owned. Seldom needs more than an oil change, batteries and tires. I'ts my only car and I am only driver since 1996. I wish they still made them. I will, most likely, purchase a Chevy Impala if the Lumina ever becomes impractical to retain.

The easy in getting in and out the driver side door and the roominess of the back seat for my passengers comfort.

The dials for the headlights. I find them confusing to reset if someone has changed them.

4 dpor Chevrolet Lumina 1997
By sally obrien

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

Excellent for comfort for trips. Easy to get into and out. Good radio for listening to. Easy to drive, handles well in good weather and bad weather. Accommodates 5 people very comfortably. Electric control for drivers seat, nice to set the seat to your height and comfort. Adjustable steering wheel to your driving comfort.

Dual control for heat and air conditioning. Side mirrors can be changed from drivers side with the control on the drivers side door. Electric windows excellent feature. Child lock out for doors and windows excellent feature. Good size glove compartment. Lights that automatically come on.

Could be built to block outside noise better. Gas low icon would be nice as a reminder you are getting low on fuel.

Best car for the Money Period!
By Clark

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

Truly a car that will last if you know how to perform routine maintenance. I love this car! At 210,000 I redid the Intake Manifold gasket, water pump, and haven't had any leaks since. The only other problems I have had have been electrical from the wire rotting out. These are simple fixes, just hard to trace where sometimes. I run Valvoline Max Life Full Synthetic oil. In town mileage is okay, highway is better than most cars get today. Add an HHO system and you will get over 35+mpg highway.

Mileage, ease of maintenance, and a body that will last longer than any thing in the car. I am currently at 256,000 miles with no worries it won't make it 300k.

Cheap interior doors.., get an alternator with a lifetime warranty.