Used 1993 Chevrolet Lumina Coupe Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Chevrolet Lumina Coupe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

Good luck
By 4speed (nickname)

1993 Chevrolet Lumina Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

When I bought mine it only had 15k miles. I love the ride , styling and interior comfort and quality. The doors weigh a ton so don't get anything caught when closing them. We had it about a year and enjoyed several trips and I swear that it seemed like the faster I went the better it hugged the road. Now for the bad things....don't get in a situtation where you need to make a 3 point turn like ordinary cars because it will take 5 points. Be VERY careful when accelerating hard at slow speeds because you will get into problems as it has alot of torque steer and it's easy to over compensate. The car was bone stock and around the 20k mile mark the alternator went out. Fortunately I had a friend at a Chevy dealer who took it in and replaced the alt even tho it was out of warranty. Six months later it went out again. Lucky me that Chevy had a warranty policy that said if any part failed within a year that they installed it would be covered. Well it happened 2 more times and each time it was covered. The alternator sits down behind the engine in front of the passenger feet so it doesn't get enough air. The engine has to be dropped out the bottom for access.....what a job!! I talked Chevy into getting a special aftermarket alternator with built in better cooling capabilities. That one went out too. I remembered Pontiac had gas boiling problems on one of their TransAms and made a blower kit to blow air on the carb. Believe it our not a dealer here had one of the last ones in the U.S. so I got it and installed it. I mounted the fan and ran a snorkel to blow on the alternator. I'll be danged if that one failed too. Back to Chevy for the last time then I sold it. Each time the electrical system was checked with no problems. If I had bought it new I would have had a good Lemon Law case. I have never heard if anyone else had this same problem....probably not. I miss my Z but not the frustration.

I LOVE this car!
By Lizzy19

1993 Chevrolet Lumina Coupe Euro 2dr Coupe

My lumina has been so good to me over that past 8 months i've had it..i have had to put some money into it but i expected that because it was not on the road for 5 years.. when it wants to go its going to move! its good on gas and you dont see many '93 2 door luminas out there very much..i like that i have a unique car and a reliable one too. i love my Lumina

good steering, good on gas, nice exterior design, big front seats, huge trunk!

there is always something braking on it... on clunking

Z34 3.4 Engine Timing Belt Poor Design
By 93 Lumina Z34 Coupe

1993 Chevrolet Lumina Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

I bought the Z34 Lumina 2 years ago and and was told that the timing belt had been replaced and would need to be done at 111000 miles. I have only driven 5000 miles since I bought it. Had not a single problem until just after it passed inspection 2 years after I purchase it, in one day it needed a water pump new serpetine belt, oil pan gasket, oil pump.and water pump. If I did not keep in garage and drive it so little these problems would have shown up in a month or two, most likely. I hear that the timing belt replacement every 60k is a must. The ABS brakes never worked and the ABS dash light came on right after 2 yr inspection. I understand that in NJ that is not cause to fail. Great otherwise

Handling, comfort, looks, power, comfortable seats and overall features.

Brakes, timing belt, cup holder

93 Chevy Lumina Euro 2dr Coupe
By chris-wayne

1993 Chevrolet Lumina Coupe Euro 2dr Coupe

I bought the car used of course in 2001. When I first got it the car made weird noises going over small bumps, and the dealership said they didn't know what it was. Turned out to be the rear shock strut. I repaired it myself, it was pretty easy. After owning the car about 3 years the ignition coils went bad. You can buy a upgraded coil pack now at your local auto parts store. I've done all the work to my car, it's pretty easy to work on, but the spark plugs are always a pain in the but to change. Other than that it's been a great car, never any oil leaks or anything major wrong with it..

Reliability. All wheel disc brakes. Cruise control, responsive throttle and excelleration. Quite, smooth highway driving.

Make the spark plugs easier to reach. Better shock struts.

Awesome Car.
By Matt

1993 Chevrolet Lumina Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

I traded in an '89 S10 Baja for this car and I have to say it was an excellent trade. This is a truly memorable car and if I ever get the chance to purchase another, I will do it. I never had any repairs except a power steering pump which was only 40 bucks. I bought the car shortly after I graduated high school, and I kept it for over 2 years. Then I traded it to a '97 Grand Cherokee limited, but I missed it so much i had to purchase the car back from the dealer. I truly enjoyed this car. It has plenty of HP. I highly suggest if you see one of these for sale to buy it. You will not be dissapointed.

Powerful and extremely fast. Handles great. Sporty. Rides like a dream.

Easier to work on. More space under the hood. Better braking system.