Used 2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews - 308 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Nice to drive - when it works
By waldo57

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I just (thankfully) traded in my 2006 Chevrolet Impala LTZ that I had for 3 years. It was a complete nightmare.

I replaced the power steering pump twice, and had the power steering service four or five times on top of that.

When the weather got cold, the power steering pump would "pressurize" and blow the hose right off, leaking power steering fluid all over the ground. The dealership charged me several hundred dollars to "fix" it, but by the time I traded it in several months later, the power steering pump was making a grinding noise again.

Other than these problems, the car was very nice. It handled well, and has plenty of power for passing or moving in traffic.

-3.9L V6 (LTZ model) provided lots of power. -Bose sound system was phenomenal, even with factory head unit.

Refine the dash by removing fake wood finish.

The worse decision I ever made.
By officernate

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new and spent the first 12 months in and out of dealerships to fix, repair, replace, or other wise upgrade something that has broken or been recalled.
Since then, I have found out that the brake rotors are smaller then they should be for a car this size, the A/C unit has several issues dealing with the compressor clutch, and blend door actuators (keep a stock of those if you have this car.)
The steering is horrible and I've had multiple issues with the power steering (hoses, rack and pinion, etc.)
The transmission will live only to its warrenty and no longer.
Be prepared to get a new one after 75,000 miles.
It leaks oil like no other car I've ever driven.

I had some good things to say about this car a while ago, but since then I'm pretty fed up and have absolutely nothing good to advise.

Scrap all plans on this vehicle and and start over!

2006 SS rain management system failure
By tompmn

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Our 2006 Impala SS leaks A LOT on the drivers side by the emergency brake every time it rains.
I inquired with my Chevy dealer and said my car leaks when it rains without providing details and the technician indicated the "rain management system" has failed.
He told me to look at the headliner and see if there is a water stain.
Sure enough there was.
I inquired if there was a recall and he said no, it will cost minimum of $500 to look at it and $135 hour to trace the leak.
All original equipment, no rust or windshield change.
This is our second Impala and i am extremely disappointed with Chevrolet Quality and their position.
I would not buy another Impala.

We like the exterior styling, the interior, very quiet and the engine (although you have to add 1-2 quarts betweeen changes, normal we are told).

More owner friendly help desk for the do it yourselfer versus prompt $500 to $1500 to repair. Having bought the car new off the lot I am extremely disappointed with Chevrolet Quality, specifically the response. Where I work we measure quality escapes in terms of Parts Per Million. Unfortunately I got a lemon and Chevy is not interested in Continuous Improvement.

06 Impala LT
By colafontaine

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Impala for 2 years now. bought it with 9,000 miles on it and it now has 38000. I've had many problems with the car SINCE i bought it, and it doesn't look like it's going to stop...first thing, at an unbelievable 17,000 miles, the tie rods and ball joints needed to be replaced. Next was the actuator for the trunk release (took 1 week and 3 actuators to get it solved. there's a noise that sounds like a vacuum leak that the dealers cant figure out whats causing it. Then the tire monitor system. Now there's something wrong w/ the A/C (common problem) that's making it click at random. The heater doesn't work...I've taken care of it, and it was a dealer car before me.

it is fun to drive, remote start, and the fact that it probably will run forever. it will run crappy with a lot of the electrical issues, but it will last.

It simply needs to be built better.

06 Impala SS
By eeterson

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this car used with 60,000 miles.
I ignored the fact I test drove it with check engine light and warning lights.
Wanted this great looking big engine fueled car.
Used car dealer turned the car over with all issues "fixed."
Light came back on, transmission needed to be rebuilt.
Dealer fixed that, had to fix trunk release issue.
Power door locks stopped working.
Sensors were going through the six months I had this car.
Lots of little annoying things.
Unreliable car but FUN TO DRIVE.
Loved the power.
And for all its flaws it was safe.
I ended up rolling this thing pretty badly, totaled the car.
Walked away uninjured.