Used 2005 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews - 154 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Solid
By TA

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my impala in 2005 used with 25K on it. Paid $11,900, and five years later car has 170K and still going strong. Had transmission rebuilt at around 125K miles, but other than that no repairs other than routine maint. The overall cost of ownership for the last five years has remained extremely low. Not the most flashy car for sure, but the most reliable car I have ever owned.

Huge Trunk, for a large sedan it gets great fuel economy, dependability, front leg room

Impala is impressive
By TD

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I would recommend the Impala to anyone. It has a really cushy ride without being too soft and floaty. The steering is effortless. The seats are extremely comfortable and I love the bench seat. It's much more comfortable than a bucket that is restricting if you have longer legs. The stereo with factory pre-amp is delightful. Gas mileage is impressive for such a big car, I'm getting an average of over 27 MPG with about 1/2 city driving. 4-wheel ABS disc brakes are smooth as silk. Engine seems solid and purrs. I have been a Toyota celica/camry guy for decades now but this car won me over. Congratulations to Chevy for making a car worthy of American label. I love this car.

I love the 5 star crash rating. Great mileage for such a big car. Factory stereo is wunderbar. Super steering and comfortable, soft ride. great paint job and styling (in black it looks very stylish and not fuddy duddy)

Low clearance in front on slopes (but the tough square undercarriage aluminum frame can take it with no lasting damage) Newer models ride just as nice but the look has become more generic since 2006 (no big round taillights which I like).

Improves with time
By Tom

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Locale is west coast Canada. Bought ex-lease with 25,000 km for $16,000 CDN. Warranty trans replace, 6 mo. to track down engine misfire to sensor on crank. This is an excellent car once problems are solved (but make sure you have a warranty! Bretts in Chilliwack persisted in tracking down the problems). Comfortable interior--best seats for long trips to Oregon and California of any car we've owned; huge trunk; handles well for a car with such a soft ride (once I replaced Firestones with Michelin ZX's); engine does not use oil. I am giving this car to my son for a wedding present and we'll miss it, but I feel assured that he will be safe because it's a big car with lots of metal!

Cabin design; handling; tight turning circle (I own an 02 Maxima as well; white color that makes other drivers slow down since it looks like a cop car; smooth engine; comfortable seating; low price

Car is built in Ontario in the Chevy plant with the highest quality rating in North America, but they should work out the bugs prior to delivery. Once the dealer did so, the car proved to be excellent.

All Around Solid Car.
By ptcm1

2005 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The Impala is not the fanciest car out there but it's super reliable and solid sedan. I had no problems with this car other than ordinary maintenance and it had 105,000 miles on it. It's built so you can do most fixes by yourself.

Fold down rear seats, great stereo, comfortable. Really fuel efficient for 205 horses.

2005 Impala SS
By PM

2005 Chevrolet Impala SS Supercharged 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I recently purchased this car. I love the ride, the style, and the performance. It has around 70,000 miles, and no rattles or squeaks! And while I've had it only a short time (just over a month), I was quite surprised by the low fuel economy. Even while staying off the boost, the MPG is still pretty lousy. I had a 3.8 in a 97 Pontiac GP, and got much, much better mileage. But I guess thats the price one pays for performance! Other than the mileage, no problems at all!

Goodyear GT tires, acceleration, and roominess.

Better stereo!!!