Used 2005 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews - 154 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Dependable for seven years
By kiminoz

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car in 2007 with 30,000 lease miles on it. Didn't fall in love with it right away, but with low miles, V6, and low pricing ($13,999) too good to pass up. Two weeks ago, at 167,000 mi., I totaled it. Most reliable car I ever owned. It did dent easy and speedometer reliability was getting to be spotty, but this was "Old Trusty" for at least 120,000 miles. Great for carting around big teenagers. Would buy another low mileage Impala in a heartbeat.

Roomy comfort. Great for commuting and long trips. V6. Huge trunk!

Bad bad car
By kmfresh

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My Impala is the most worthless hunk of metal I have ever owned.
05 seems like a bad year for most every car company, but this one is just horrible.
It dies at random, the transmission is terrible, it dents SO easily and the AC/Heat AND the fans go out constantly, and those are expensive fixes.
I want rid of this headache and I'll never own another older impala again.

Overall quality

Excellent car!!!
By crazymonk2012

2005 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

All I can say is the car is fantastic. Okay those of you that read this review. If you ever buy an earlier Impala. Buy one with a 3.8 okay. They have the fewest of problems. My big plus with the vehicle is the reliability! I mean problems I have seen on this forum are probably really picky people. Although if you look at it. My 2005 Impala has always been reliable. Never broken down before ever!! I love this car and recommend that if you buy this car. Buy one with a 3.8. If you buy a newer Impala do not buy the 3.9 engine. Get the one with the 3.6 liter. Hope this helps you all.

My favorite features is the ride, it is nice a smooth. Also the stereo speakers from factory can put out a bass like no factory speaker I ever heard! The fact that this car requires very low maintenance to keep it running. However if you give it high maintenance this car has the ability to go up to 300,000 miles without having issues.

The dash cluster is one thing that needs improvement. I had one go out, but that is it! Nothing else wrong with it in my opinion.

dont buy this car unless you enjoy head aches
By jackie55

2005 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car 3 years ago in hopes i would have a good car I drove out of the dealer and the car was pulling to the right bad. I took it back a couple days later to have them tell me it was something called torque steer. It turned out to be a wheel bearing. I replaced it on my own the dealer didn't pay for it and don't you know that torque steer was no longer there. I replace wheel bearings every 6mo. About 4 months later my radio started making crazy noises even when the car was off and all doors were closed. The radio stopped working all together a short time later. Then i noticed puddles of water on the floor in the back seat dont have a clue where its coming from. My dash goes crazy

When i no longer own it

hmmm radio,wheel bearings the fact water leaks into the car and causes shorts in the wireing that runs under the carpet. Maybe Chevrolet needs to recall a few things on these cars. I have read many other reviews from people having the same problems like me.

Never buying another GM vehicle again...
By workingdogdoc

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2005 Impala as a program car that year and it had 28K.
It's 2011 and now has 106K. Total crapper. While it's not a bad car to drive around in the city or highway and has pretty generous space, the reliability has totally put me off GM cars for good. I seem to have at least 1-2 major repairs on it per year and my next big one is coming up like clockwork.
Woohoo...water heater pump, power steering pump, now fuel pump have all gone out.
The heating system also failed. The transmission has a tendency to slip.
The instrument cluster has all reset themselves at random intervals, then gone back to being fine.
My husband drives a same year Camry and it's night and day more reliable!

Decently spacious and comfortable. Decent handling.

The reliability is horrible. Never again, GM, never again. I'll be switching to Honda, Toyota, or Subaru most likely.