Used 2005 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews - 154 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

2005 Impala
By klm005

2005 Chevrolet Impala SS Supercharged 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I purchased the extended warranty which gave me coverage to 60,000 miles.
I loved this car until the problems began. I have replaced tie rods which failed just out of warranty.
My biggest problem has been whenever there is a hard, fast rain, the front floor passenger floor fills with water. It happened at least half a dozen times. My dealer said they could do nothing since there was no water when they looked at it.

After my warranty expired, my speakers stopped working.
The radio is fine, but no sound.
There is also no dinging sound for low fuel...
Now, at 95,000 miles, my transmission is slipping. I've been told it could be just clogged fuel line.
Don't know what to buy next.

I love the size of the car. Fits a big family comfortably. Split rear folding seat is very convenient for loading the very large trunk. I get about 22 mpg city and 29mpg highway.

GM should take care of problems when they occur instead of saying they can't find anything until warranty runs out. Maybe that was just my dealer, but they represent GM.

Another piece of GM junk
By kandis67

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2011 with 54k miles on it. I now have ~78k and it has just been one problem after another since day one. Huge lack of power, stopping on a slight incline on the road would cause me to roll backward when releasing the brake. Transmission jumps and skips. Can't get it to start 85% of the time. Fuel regulator began spitting out gasoline at 60k ($180 fix). Tie rods are crap. Wiper motor is seized. Heat randomly shuts on and off.

The best car I have ever owned so far,
By marqukitea

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Impala, 2011, Its a good car But the gas miles suck, Its a good family car cause I have 3kids, The car was 10,000 But it had low miles to that why I got it. Im almost done payin for it Only owe abot 32hun So thats good I would buy another Impala, But now im lookin for an Truck by GM, So I have my eye on an Chevy Treverse, Good luck to me.

I love the color,

A place tp hook up an Ipod.

My best car yet...
By templetonpeck

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my '05 Impala in January of 2006, it was used with 17k miles.
As of now, it has 198k miles.
Sad to say, those miles are starting to show.
There's a lot of 'nickle and dime' stuff going out (windows roll down, but not up, gauges get stuck, and other things), but she's been a good car for 6+ years and 175k miles.
It's time to hand it off to the kids for their school car.

If you're looking for a status symbol, the Impala isn't it.
If you're looking for a good solid car that will get you to point A to point B, it gets the job done.

What can I say? It's a base Impala... I guess the sunroof was really nice on those cool summer nights. Oh, and I loved the exterior styling. Sharp looking car, according to my taste. I think the newer models took a big turn towards plain (although the 2013's are stepping up the style a bit).

Waste of Money
By kgates75

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2007. It was 2005 and had 14k what a deal I thought. At 50k I had to replace the motor. It had an issue that the dealer stated *Never happens* now at 115k the car needs a new transmission and will not pass emissions. I still owe a years payments on this car. I contacted GM, they apparently do not care that they make crap! Every year I owned this pile I have dumped too much money into it. Engine, suspension, exhaust, tie rod ends, not to mention the regular maintenance. If I could go back I would have bought the Dodge instead. Never will I waste money on a GM vehicle.

None. The radio does not work without the XM service, no rear defrost, heat and air work when they want. Premium rims are a joke have to pay to have them cleaned every year. Rusts easy, poor paint, interior could be better, and the carpet in the truck fell apart.

Use the money you make off of these cars to actually produces a quality vehicle. There are too many improvement suggestions to even fit on here. One improvement- If you look at a Chevy Impala and think *Hey that look like a nice car* Please just keep walking. Save your money.