Used 2005 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews - 154 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

My 2nd one of this model
By Kevin

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd Impala. So far I've had to pay to have the transmission fixed ($1,100.00 - Take it apart) and (3,250.21) to have it fixed. There is a thumping/popping sound when you turn the wheel. That is due to a "shaft thing". That's another $279.99 to fix. There is also a clattering sound when you are in 2nd gear and speed up. Don't know what that's about. The transmission slips and has a hard time changing gears. I don't know why both my Impalas gave me so many problems. I mean my last one was only 1 1/2 years old and the dealer said it's showing wear and tear on the engine and transmission. Come on! It's not even that old. Other than that it starts immediately and rides smooth. I don't even drive my cars rough. I've had my Caliber longer than my Impala lasted. My Caliber is 5 months old. When my Impala was 5 months problems started.

Power everything, nice radio, all right styling on the outside. Smooth ride. Power.

Stronger engine, thicker plastics in the interior, better engine/transmission quality, maybe a graphite interior option. The horn is too quiet. My new Caliber has a much louder horn. My warranty didn't cover the transmission dis-assembly (1,100.00)

2005 Impala Base Model
By Kristen

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been great. Not really had much for expenses other than routine maintenance. Lack of options on the base model, but still a resonabley good buy.

Great use of cabin space.

ABS is not standard on this year and this model, also my back seat doesn't fold down, which would be nice-even with the huge amount of trunk space available.

Not happy
By Jeff R

2005 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the Impala because of its reputation and comfort. I'm disappointed. The first 1.5 years were okay except for an annoying jerking when cold and first accelerate. Service could not determine cause after 3 visits. Last two times in for an oil change I was told the front wheel bearings are going bad and intake gasket has a leak - over $2000 in repairs. I lease to avioid maintenance problems. I will take my loss and opt for early out to get rid of this lemon. No more Impalas for me.

Comfort, good road car, large trunk, good fuel economy for the size.

When will American manufacturers make a car just as reliable as foreign competitors. Two major mechanical problems in first 2 years is rediculous. I'd like to buy a GM product that will last 250,000 miles. In my dreams!

The best sedan we've ever owned
By Dave

2005 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've always bought Japanese, but I found a great deal on a used Impala, so I took a chance. I'm so glad I did. The car has had zero problems and it drives like a dream. The seats are very comfortable. My daughter says the rear seats are great, too. Trunk is huge. The best thing about the car is the phenomenal mileage: the Impala gets better mileage than our Subaru but it's much more spacious. The engine has plenty of pep and a satisfying growl that makes it feel like a hot rod. It's really the perfect combination of size, performance and fuel economy. I would buy another one. It's really a great car.

Automatic headlights, power windows that work until a door is opened, and separate driver/ passenger climate control. A display tells you when you need an oil change. The radio increases in volume as road noise increases. Wife likes lighted makeup mirror and cupholders.

We're at 42,000 miles and it feels like we will need new brakes soon. Also, there's no keyhole on the passenger side of the car, a minor annoyance.

Overall great car
By Wheelman

2005 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned for almost two years now and love to drive this car. Great looks, power, handling, and fuel for a full-sized car. And a big trunk. I was driving 128 miles a day to and from work, and now only 63. It's a nice ride. I've had a few issues including turning the brake rotors and had the intermediate steering shaft replaced. The steering shaft was covered by warranty. I enjoy the comfortable ride and plenty of power to get around traffic. I bought this car because of the Consumer reports rates very well, great looks, and fuel mileage for a descent V6. I hope the newer style models rate well for my next purchase down the road.

200 watt stereo sounds great with XM, huge trunk, nice gas mileage for a V6, and nice styling. Radio controls on the steering wheel along with a lot of extra features such as tire pressure monitoring and oil change indicator.

It would be nice to bypass the DLR and auto headlights. The center two rear taillights are not lighted. Wish the radio had iPod or MP3 player input. I would have put in a new radio, but vehicle controls a made thru the radio controls.