Used 2005 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews - 154 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Love my impala
By impalafan

2005 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Had this car 3+ yrs, & still love it. At about 47k miles, and ready for new tires/ brakes. Fun to drive, great power, & plenty of room for my 250lb frame; I could drive in comfort forever. Massive trunk, 17+ sq.ft.! 3.8 V6 can really take off, easy to get flying if you're not careful! Dashboard/stereo laid out well, intuitive controls. Info center tells you when you need gas, washer fluid, & even when tire pressure is low. XM & OnStar are standard. I can't say enough for this car!

Steering wheel radio controls, sunroof, 8-way power, heated leather seats for driver and front passenger, all a first in a car for me, & all worth it. outside temp guage

Move location of horn, sits behind headlight. Had it replaced last year when it shorted out after driving thru standing water (less than 5"). Windshield wipers don't flip all the way up, which can be problem in snowy northeast. Controls can be awkward in certain rain conditions.

problem s
By puppet

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The front of the car is to low and everytime I go over a bump-it scraps under the bottom of the car. I recently are have problems with transmission fuel leaking and the steering shaft is making noises. Also, I don't have any heat on the drivers side.

The truck is very roomy and inside of the back seats are very roomy

New design inside and out.

I still love my 'pala
By ISTILLLOVEIT!

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car from the same dealership my wife bought her 2006 Mazda 6 from. Anyway, the dealership addressed some issue about the car that I was concerned about because of safety issues (bent tie rod, back brakes and tires were bad, and carfax report still not in my hands!). I love this car, and I've always liked them. Ride's smooth and it has a good bit of power. Car was a rental car from Virginia beach (yeah I don't really like that part [bought it at 40,000 miles], but it's been 3 months and [knock on wood], no problems). I've read online of some of the problems people are having with their Impalas but I'm still satisfied with my buy. Got a year warranty to boot from dealership!

Interior room and trim. Comfort and ride quality. Looks and power. Didn't have room in suggested improvement part below: 2005 Impala was last year for W body, be careful with your purchase! I hope I helped! Happy shopping!

I suggest looking under the oil cap to see if you can find some white sludge on it (PCV valve/coolant leak, this year's PCV valve was riveted down though, 3.4L). Steering assembly still popping and clicking (common W body Impala problem with I-shaft). Shutter on acceleration (cold) with no fix.

GM Needs to improve quality
By Not Impressed

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car used in February 2006. It had been privately owned with 16,000 miles on it. It has the 3.4 liter V6. Two weeks after purchase the CD player quit and had to be replaced. A couple of months later the transmission developed a vibration when shifting from 1st into 2nd. This was apparently a factory defect because there was a campaign out on it. The day I got the car back it began to slip when accelerating from a stop. 3 trips to the dealership to figure this out. A solinoid in the tranny was bad. The manifold gasket started leaking. The steering column rattles and I was told GM was working on this. Not very quickly, my mom's 95 Olds does the same thing. The AC has musty smell too

Comfortable to drive. Good ride. Dual zone climate control.

Improve transmissions and over all quality of the vehicle.

2005 impala police package
By d.sampath

2005 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car is driven by myself only as a municipal vehicle, it has had a rattle in the front end and been back to the dealer 3 times for this in addition to 3 fan belts. I dont know how in Police Officer could drive one of these uncomfortable, rattle boxes all day long truly a mistake in buying this car.

The only good thing about this car is the front wheel drive for snow, and the overall appearance.

Leave building police cars to someone else.