Used 2004 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews - 283 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Your Basic Car
By Jon

2004 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 Chevrolet Impala in 2008. I was reluctant to buy it because of the intake gasket problems on the 3.4 litre V6 engines GM made. So far I haven't had any problems with it. What I love about this car is its simplicity, and comfort. It has responsive acceleration, and the controls are simple and easy to use. The steering is tight, and the car overall is solid. I bought it with 57000 miles on it. I now have 98000 miles on it. I have been impressed so far.

Acceleration,simple to use controls. The seating is comfortable, and it is a real pleasure to drive. The gas mileage on an average is 33 hi-way, and 26 city. Awesome for a V6..

Nothing to speak of

Chevy Needs to Prove they Build Quality
By Jennsavage

2004 Chevrolet Impala SS Supercharged 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I purchased this car about 4 years ago. It had about 35k on it and I purchased an extended warranty for another 35k. I have a black one and the paint job is really cheap looking. IF you have tinted windows, you can't get good reception from the AM radio. After owning the vehicle 1 year we had to replace the radiator, fortunately it was covered under the warranty I had purchased, otherwise that would have cost an about $1500.00 to fix. I can hear a clunk in the steering column, which might be a lose linkage somewhere, but disconcerting. The vehicle and plummeted in value since I purchased it.

Leather seats, get up and go with the supercharger

Better quality, better paint, a radio that works with tinted windows.

Great Car
By Don

2004 Chevrolet Impala SS Supercharged 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

We loved the car overall until the last year. It was a lease car. Most of the time when we got the car up to 50mph the car began to shake and lunge and lurch like it was hurting for gas. We took the car into several car dealers to fix it and they thought we were crazy. We did find one dealer that could see it, but was never able to get it to do it at the right time for the computer to tell there what to fix. Well, after the lease we were sad to give it up, but some poor person probably has it now.

the power

dealers need to start listening the the owners that are driving the car on a regular basis to fix problems.

no problems here
By no problems here

2004 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 50k miles and have had no problems. I drive roughly 50 miles round trip daily and most of this is on country roads and I still average around 22mpg! My only problem with this car is wind noise. I had a new camry and got rid of it. I like the quality of my impala a lot better.

rear spoiler and the handling on curvy roads

none

Never Again
By AmberE

2004 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I am amazed to see how many people on here are having the same problems as I am and there aren't any recalls. I too have had issues with a clunky front end, my abs light coming on at random, and kicking in at random, my traction control light comes on and kicks in also, I now have to turn it off before I start driving because it was kicking in at dangerous times. I have replaced my speedometer. The lights on my rear view mirror work at some moments and not at others. The car is comfy but the pros will never outweigh the cons in this car. I am now considering a Honda or Hyundai or something foreign. I will never buy an impala again. Horrible!

The whole front end has issues, fix those, and also, there are obviously multiple sensor issues with the whole ABS/Traction control problem. How is possible that no recalls have been issued for that?