Used 2004 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews - 280 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

no problems here
By no problems here

2004 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 50k miles and have had no problems. I drive roughly 50 miles round trip daily and most of this is on country roads and I still average around 22mpg! My only problem with this car is wind noise. I had a new camry and got rid of it. I like the quality of my impala a lot better.

rear spoiler and the handling on curvy roads

none

Never Again
By AmberE

2004 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I am amazed to see how many people on here are having the same problems as I am and there aren't any recalls. I too have had issues with a clunky front end, my abs light coming on at random, and kicking in at random, my traction control light comes on and kicks in also, I now have to turn it off before I start driving because it was kicking in at dangerous times. I have replaced my speedometer. The lights on my rear view mirror work at some moments and not at others. The car is comfy but the pros will never outweigh the cons in this car. I am now considering a Honda or Hyundai or something foreign. I will never buy an impala again. Horrible!

The whole front end has issues, fix those, and also, there are obviously multiple sensor issues with the whole ABS/Traction control problem. How is possible that no recalls have been issued for that?

P.O.S. '04 Impala
By Notta GM fan

2004 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Got it used w/24k on it. Since I have had it I replaced two wheel hubs ($400 each), replaced instrument cluster assembly ($500... gas gauge had stopped working), replaced two heater cores ($900 each), replaced heater control head so the heat could actually get out the vents ($500), ABS light coming on ($1000), replaced steering shaft (warranty), ETC!!

Roomy. Stereo sounds nice.

Too many to enumerate.

Last Chevy I Will Ever Buy
By bernard

2004 Chevrolet Impala SS Supercharged 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Speedometer went out at 66,000 miles ($379.93). Light went out on climate control, have to replace whole unit ($336.60). Sometimes windshield wipers don`t work at all. Or won't shut off. Service Traction System light comes on occasionally, then does upon restarting. It seems to me that there is some kind of electrical issue with these cars, as many people experience the same problems.

3.8 Supercharged provides good power.

Don't Buy This Car

THE MONEY PIT!!!!!!!!!!
By Erica

2004 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had issues with the security sensor going hay wire, I have installed 2 water pumps in the past 2 yrs, breaks are an annual thing because they are being warped somehow, my battery keeps dying due to some kind of short that has not been found so I had to purchase a battery charger and charge my battery every 2 weeks to make sure I can crank the car and now my transmission is slipping and slamming when I reverse. This car rides smooth however between my annual expenses I have had more bad days then good with this car. Once I get the transmission fixed I am getting rid of this car unless I can get rid of it before then.

Trunk Space and Speaker Quality

GM needs to recall the entire car and refund the owners who have spent so much money to repair the vehicles. These vehicles are crap!