Used 2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews - 212 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Overall a Good Buy
By jon_l

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2003 Impala LS second hand with 93,000 miles for my first car.
Ran great for a good while but just had to get the catalytic converter replaced at 102,000 miles, Brake Controller Module Replaced, and my Idle Control Valve replaced, costing me all together $1,200.
Despite those issues I've had no other issues I love my car.
It rides real smooth and has some nice power.
Has great gas mileage on the highway.
This is really the last stylish model before the new Impalas went out.
The interior is very nice and there is plenty of room for 5 people to fit comfortably inside.
Currently at 104,500 miles and the car is still running great!

Optional 3.8L VS engine controls on steering wheel center shifting column spacious center compartments sporty exterior on LS low interior ride noise

improve quality of parts should have had a recall for the catalytic converter

Now 11 years later, and still running strong!
By v_nick

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Edmunds has asked for another update today, 1/28/2017, a year after a voluntary update, five years since my 2012 review, and eleven years since my original review. Well, the car is still running perfectly! It stills has its original exhaust system, and continues to run well with regular oil changes and tire rotations. We did just have to have the original oil switch replaced ($137) last week, and today I purchased a new set of wipers. Otherwise, the dang car just keeps going!

I originally wrote a review in 9/2006 shortly after purchasing the car pre-owned.
As we approach the sixth anniversary of purchase, we are delighted to report that this has been the best sedan we have owned!
In our entire ownership, we have replaced a relay fuse ($50), a manifold gasket ($300) and a wheel bearing ($225).
We finally replaced the original tires and breaks a little more than a year ago.
Speaking of tires, my earlier review spoke of front end road noise.
This disappeared with new tires.
The car was originally equipped with cheap Uniroyals.
The car still looks great, and runs and runs and runs!
It replaced a Nissan which we purchased new & was totally unreliable.

1/25/2016 UPDATE:

I just had to update my review to say it's STILL GOING STRONG! We have done nothing but routine maintenance since 2012, and we still love it!

Buyer Beware
By zabora

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2003 impala from a reputable dealer with only 41000 miles on it.
Originally bought for my wife as a family car, but it has been so unreliable that she won't drive it anymore. It has been absolute trouble since I bought it. First the intake manifold gasket went.
Then, the electronics stopped working properly. No signal, no heat control, no air control.
All failed at different times. Then the front end started having problems.
Tie Rods, Rotors, and now finally today, the steering rack. Completely failed going down the road. Could not power steer at all.
I have always been a chevy man, and have lived with typical chevty problems; but no more. This is my last car from them.

Roomy and the heated seats, but the comfort is not worth the over 3 thousand dollars in repairs I have made on this car within the past 18 months.

Improve your quality control department. Install parts that will last more than 50 thousand miles.

2003 chevy impala LS 3.8
By 2003impala

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Where should I start........ it was 2010 when i got my impala only had 70k it was the best car for about 4 months first at 85k the catalytic converter (600$) then the power windows went out (130$) then the oil gasket/pan (30$) did it myself then dash lights went out didn't fix it then ABS was going in and out then water pump (50$) did it myself then the thermostat (10$) and I've only had it 10 months now I'm just like what's next?? MY parents own 9 different chevy's 1971-2010 and this is the only one that as ever disappointed them.

3.8 0-60 in 7sec. lots of room i've had 8 people in it at once. and it's a CHEVY

recall al 2000-2005 impalas and completely redo them

Love my Impala!
By Nicole H.

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I researched a lot before purchasing the impala, comparing to Dodge Intrepid and Nissan Maxima. Loved the impala because was midsized car and could fit 6 people comfortably. Including an adult male in backseat comfortably. Also a great price with great mileage per gallon. Perfect car for starting family and working a distance from home.

I have had my car 6 years, now at 280,000 miles. Still going strong with only repair being 1 transmission replacement. Still love my car, and scared of thought of having to replace at some point. Probably will get another impala!

None! Been a very reliable, comfortable yet still sporty car.