Used 2002 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews - 154 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

If knew now when I bought it.
By Michael

2002 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car is in the shop more than I drive it. I have had to replace the engine three times (due to over heating), transmission twice (hard shifting), security moge, headlight switch (headlights turn off at night while driving), catalytic. Convert (car smoking), hubs, axles (loud roaring), steering column (popping, ) and the list goes on. All and all I have sent over $11,000 on this car in repairs its not worth buying oh yea did I mention there is a class action lawsuit on this car from years 2000- 2005 with the 3.8l (or k modle under lawsuit search) engines. I going to mark this car as a don't buy! Trust me!

Looks.

Recall this car or fix it!

Excellent car
By G Warner

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a fun car to own. I have had very few problems with it over the years. The body styling is great, as is the interior design. I think I will cry when I have to get rid of it.

Trunk light, coins in console, 6 seatbelts, rear console/cupholders, programmable fob beeps/lights, visor extensions

Handhold to open the trunk - nearly impossible with snow on the bumper. Reduce interior noise if only rear windows are open. Put a door on the cubby between visors. Make the brake rotors so they don't go bad with low mileage.

Dont Buy This Car...
By jnagle

2002 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

There honestly isn't a single thing that makes this car worth buying. The body is starting to rust and the clear coat on the rims is gone. The cat went at 60k and they refused to fix it b/c it wasnt setting of the codes but the car was undrivable. The damage from the car killed my engine, now I get 19mpg/highway. Now at 85k the tranny is going. Car shifts hard in between gears and engine makes a high pitched sound???

None....

Better mpg, make a catalytic conv that works, trannys going at 85k, engine sounds bad, car wont start sometimes (bad ignigition cylinder)

Buy an Impala
By Linda Greb

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We have owned our Impala now for about 4 years and we love it. We have not experienced any major mechanical problems. We have a 3.4 cu. inch engine which I wished had a little more pick up. It gets great gas mileage. We would defiantly go out and purchase another Impala.

It rides nice and gets great gas mileage.

A little more pick up when you want to speed up.

After 5 years...
By GENE

2002 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my fully loaded Impala LS right off the lot with 13 miles on it. After 5 years and mostly city travel, I can now say it has been virtualy trouble free. Plenty of horsepower, and room for 5 adults. Trunk is huge. Only had a couple of trouble with the fan speed modulator and coolant sensor. That's it! At 38,000 miles still on the original brakes, and I am now averaging a lot better gas mileage 21 around town. And I average over 32 MPG highway at 55 MPH. I have gotten over 35 MPG highway on back roads from Fitchburg, Ma. to Kneene, NH. I was thinking of trading last year to a new Honda Civic. Then I said to myself why? I would lose all this roominess!

Heated seats here in New England! Excellent stereo system, OnStar security, space. Dependability! Gas mileage for this size car. Horsepower. Audio controls on wheel. Auto dimming mirror. Looks, easy to clean interior. Sunroof. Have never gotten stuck in the snow.

Tires make loud noise at highway speed..