Used 2001 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews - 132 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Thorn in my flesh!
By Laura

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Not many people are in the market these days specifically for an '01 Impala, but for the poor soul that might be considering this car a viable option, stop. I loved this car when I bought it and it ran perfectly for the first couple years. Then, at 50K miles, I had to rebuild the transmission. Downhill from there. The security system wiring is a mess, had to replace catalytic converter, oxygen sensors, head gaskets, fuel intake manifold, exhaust filter...on and on! Last Sunday, the drivers side window fell unprovoked down into the door and the power window motor will have to be replaced. But, I will not spend one more dime on this piece and not on any other GM, for that matter. Awful.

I have always loved the body style, and the interior has held up beautifully. For the month I can drive it in between regular visits to the auto shop, it's a smooth ride with decent gas mileage.

GM should quit making cars. They're bad at their job and won't admit to manufacturing errors.

Love My Impala
By springtulip108

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car used with 32,000 miles and now I have over 122,000. Never had any problems except with rotors. Love this car. We are starting to look for something with less miles but wish I could buy this car over again (don't like the design of the new Impalas).

Comfort, looks, and space

Rotors go bad very fast.

Drive till it's dead
By Scott

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Being military we drive these vehicles as police patrol cars. So I know first hand these cars can take a beating because we drive them 24/7, 20- 25K miles ayear. When I had the opprotunity I brought an Impala. I try to tune up all my used cars as soon as I get them, but had no chance. So after two weeks, one of the plug wires went out so I had the whole set replaced (plus sparkplugs). She runs great now, lots of leg room, put 18 inch rims and tires on. Went on a 9 hour driving trip, solid car inside and out, looks great. I had a '03 525I and drove it to Southern Bavria, wish I had this car instead, my lower back would have appreciated it.

Roomy interior, drives great. Nice and quiet

Brake and rotors quality (known problem, but with upgraded after market parts will fix this-long term). Ignition issues (another problem) All are easy to fix, if caught earily.

2001 impala 3,4 v6
By roy coleman

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car, with 13,000 miles, and about 8 months old. Car now has 170,000 miles. First set of tires, lasted over 140,000 miles, there has been only one set of new rotors and two sets of brakes put on this car since new. Runs absolutely great, original plug's lasted 160,000 miles, just recently changed them. Have had some problem's with the air conditioner, having to do with the way Chevrolet designed the system to work. Based on sensors, as to where they do or do not respond properly. Every problem that this car has had I fixed myself, as they were minor. This is and has been a great car.

Great engine, very good mileage, especially for size. Why anyone would give $20,000 for a little piece of nothing that gets 32 miles per gal, and pass the Chevy Impala, that gets the same mileage, needs to do some serious thinking about what they are getting for their money.

tThe rack and pinion steering system that Chevy used on these cars were most all defective, but were fixable and not a real serious problem. Chevy should have recalled and stopped using them instead of continuing for a number of years using the same defective parts.

Good Car
By Dana Ripley

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I thought someone should write a review that was not based on an immediate car malfunction situation. I have had this 01 Impala with 3.4 for almost three years. I have put 70,000 miles on it. The intake manifold gaskets had to be replaced at about 65,000 $600 (a well known problem by now), the coolant level sensor has gone twice at $55 each, it had the steering shaft issue under warranty and that is it. I have not had to change the plugs yet at 101,000, nor a single light bulb, no oil usage, factory tires went 95,000 miles and the gas mileage is excellent (22C -34 R). I drive it on the interstate a lot. It makes me money at the standard IRS reimbursement rate. I would buy another.

Size and fuel economy

The coolant system, but the 3.4 engine is not available in later models. GM's mistake. Lost some fuel economy.