Used 2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews - 132 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Lemon!
By jenn76

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car 7 years ago. After the warranty ran out we have had nothing but trouble. We have had to replace the fuel pump, the transmission (before it ever reached 100,000 miles). At one point the car would shut off while I was driving it! Just recently, the engine basically exploded and set on fire. Our mechanic said it was due to a fuel leak that was running through the engine. I would never recommend this car! We have sunk over $5000 in it just for repairs. GM has offered no recalls for the problems we have had.

The outside of the car looks nice.

Everything!

This is not a family sedan
By atmandjLS01

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I just got this car 4 months ago and already I had to spend $600 replacing the oil pan gasket. Also, the owner before me had to replace a couple parts like the steering rack, as well, which cost him around 2 grand, parts+labor. It drives great, has plenty of power for freeway driving although electrical problems bring it down, like intermittent times where the turning signals dont work. For all its problems, it is still worth buying.

Giant trunk room, plenty of space for tall drivers

Solve them electronics problems and fix the TSB's (problems that Chevy knew about after the launch of the car) and engine problems and the car is a blast to drive

Watch out.
By Jordiec

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

After owning this car for 6 months, I've already had to put more than 1k into repairs for it and there is currently something wrong with it, yet again. I bought this car used, with 76k on it and was in love with it! So far I've had problems with the body control module, fan system, and doors. I admire the interior - the seats are comfortable and it is roomy. It also gets pretty good gas mileage for such a big car. However, it is completely unreliable. It is cheaply made - the materials used are low quality. Just yesterday the gas cap fell off and a piece of the trunk interior did aswell. If youre going to buy a used car - look elsewhere! It is not a wise investment.

Gas mileage, good in the snow, trunk space

Many - better quality overall, reliabilty, electronic components

Mach 2.5
By Toady Two Step

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My mom bought this car in 2004 used with about 30k on it or so. Drove it until having heart surgery, and then passed it on to me. At first, I loved the thing. It cruises very fast (As she said "Impalas, run. It's great on West Virginia/Pennsylvania's twisty roads too. But, it could be more comfortable, ride a little smoother, have a bit more pep-in-it's step, and most importantly- -stop. I pride myself in being the only 20 year old I know who doesn't need TCS in winter--because the ABS/TCS sensor hasn't worked in over a year. Also needs new rotors...again. Great beginner's car. But, when I give it back? I'll get a CVPI.

"SuperCruise" with the 3.8, Intimidating and aggressive looks. Room for family/friends/dog. Tough (Was hit hard in the rear quarter by a guy doing in a 4800lb Town Car. Only caused about 4600 in damage, and the car was driven 20 highway miles to the garage under it's own power with no problems)

Better interior (fixed in the 06+s thankfully), better brake system.

Old Faithful
By extreme commuter

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my fully loaded Impala LS from friends at 3 years and 28,000 miles. I put 214000 miles on it in 5.5 years. It was a great car and never let me down. I had some of the same issues as others with brakes, catalytic conv., rack and pinion and recently with sensors (low coolant), but the problems were infrequent. I donated the car this week at 242000 and it was still going strong. (Although I suspect that the tranny was on the way out...) I put some money in over time, but not lots, and the car served me well. Heck, the fuel economy went up from a steady 28 to 30mpg after 150,000 mi. How many cars can make that claim? I have owned many excellent GM autos, and this is certainly among them!

I really appreciated the stereo controls on the steering wheel, The air conditioning that was ice cold even on the hottest days, and the seats which were quite comfortable even for long stretches. I especially loved OnStar and that faithful 3.8 V6!

I would've liked improved brakes - especially in front, a better radio with no antenna in the glass, better rack in the steering, and heavier duty suspension components.