Used 2001 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews - 132 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

So So
By Impala7

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My thoughts on this car after having it for 4 years is it's so so. The brake/rotor system is cheesy. Maybe it was built for the Cavalier. The car is noisy on accelerating. Not inpressed with the flooring under the carpet. There's not much pickup when entering a highway or passing. The radio antenna in the window makes for lousy reception on stations 50 miles away. The opening of the trunk for putting things in is too small.

Rides OK at highway speeds.Good gas mileage. OK trunk space

More vertical back window so you can have a bigger opening in trunk. Outside antenna. Better braking system.

Fix it before the warranty expires.
By Medic274

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

When I heard that Chevy was bringing back the Impala,I was excited. Went right out and bought one without researching it. I got stuck with a 2001 model that had just about every problem mentioned on all the forums. I had to get the brake rotors turned at 12K! Again at 20K. I should have insisted on the manufacturer's recommended fix of replacing the rotors with aftermarket hi-performance rotors. The steering column clunked. My dealer "fixed" it by injecting grease into the joint boots. That lasted about 2 weeks. The ride was stiff and noisy. Good points? Seating was comfortable, and the 3.4L engine ran flawlessly.

Seating was comfortable, even for tall people like me. Back seat has most legroom I have seen. The engine was powerful and ran smoothly, never a problem. I opted for the premium sound system with RDS, love that feature.

Stop with the cheap brake components. Instruct your dealer's service centers to actually fix the customers' cars using manufacturer's recommendations, instead of half-hearted "mickey mouse" fixes. They lost a customer here due to poor customer care.

Best Buy For Your Money
By n2914mr

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had a very good experience with this vehicle in the year that I have owned it. The Impala is large enough to accommodate a family, but not too big. Acceleration is good, fuel economy is excellent and overall I would buy this car again. Brake/rotor wear is the only major issue I have had. This car is often compared to Honda/Toyota, yet unfairly dismissed for GM's past quality issues. I have owned both Honda and Toyota and when cost is a factor in your decision you will find the Impala a much better buy for your dollar. GM has made leaps and bounds in closing the QC gap it has faced against its Japanese counterparts. You will be impressed with the caliber of this vehicle.

Great gas mileage for a sedan of this size(24city/32hwy). Appealing exterior, roomy interior, dual and curtain-side airbags, comfortable ride. Lots of trunk space- the rear seats fold down for oversized cargo. On-Star equipped.

Position of the coffee/cup holders should be redesigned so your arm is not bumping into your drink. Brake/rotor quality needs improved. Heater/AC blower controls need improvement. Heated mirrors should be standard equipment.

My new car
By Barb M

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is the first car I've ever owned. It's kind of intimidating at first, but the look and the ride is absolutely georgous.

The car is huge, I sink in it. I'm not crammed into a tiny seat/ space.

Keyless entry & CD player would make it flawless.

You get what you pay for
By e humphrey

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have almost 49000 miles on my Chevrolet .The steering has had excessive work required, both struts have been replaced some sort of drag link has been replaced two times.The electrical system is a joke, the fuel gauge works part time,other indicators are unreliable.The transmission is noisy and slams in when shifting down.

My favorite feature of this car will be when it is absent from my garage.