Used 2001 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews - 132 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Great Car for the money.
By Eddie Davis

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We have a 2001 Impala LS with the 3.8 V6. It's a great engine. Very peppy for the hills in Tennessee we drive on. The sound system is very high quality other than a speaker rattle in the front passenger door. The only downfall to this car is the turn signals. They only work when they want to and the dealership is no help. They want to charge upwards of $500 to fix something that should be recalled by GM since I know of at least 10 other Impala and Monte Carlo owners with the same problem.The radio also goes out when you turn on the rear defroster. But other than that we've had no problems with our Green Ghost. It's the only high quality vehicle GM has left.

The handling is totally awsome. Eats up curvy roads for breakfast. Seats are comfortable and the gas mileage is outstanding for a car of its size.

Fix the electrical system. The blinkers and hazard lights are a nightmare when the they don't work in interstate traffic. I've gotten 3 tickets for failure to signal.

Watch out for the tranny!
By PorscheMom

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it used w/ 26K on the odometer. I do a lot of driving, now has 65K on it. Overall, it's been a decent purchase considering the price (about $10K). Two major problems though. A bad fuel injector at 34K, and bad tranny at 38K. Both under warranty. Dealership was great about both repairs. Ride is a little rough if you are used to a larger sedan or wagon. Definitely not a road trip car. Front seats are a bit too contoured for my taste. Back seat has tons of space. Could easily fit 3 car seats, so don't discount it if you have kids. Huge trunk. Good fuel economy, attractive styling, better than the new ones, IMHO.

Trunk space. Center console in back seat w/ cupholders. Plenty of leg room. Good acceleration.

Brakes are kind of spongy. Need to cut down on the road/engine/tranny noise inside the car.

Buy Japanese
By buying Japenese

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I saw this car I thought I would get a lot of bang for my buck. What I got was a drain on my wallet. I have put less than 15,000 miles on this car and already replaced exhaust system, transmission sensors and the problem is still not fixed. GM reimbursed me for the exhaust system but only about 60% of the bill and the trany problems are related to the catalytic problems I had but not covered by recall. This car has started to ride very rough and goes through brakes like crazy. Car also shakes and shimmys around 55- 60mph

This car is loaded with features, no doubt you get your money's worth. I love the steering wheel radio controls, the sunroof, heated leather seats, OnStar

Make it ride a little better and improve on the reliablity. At least pay for repairs caused by recall.

Never Again
By FW

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Console displays occasionally do not light up. Dealer never could find problem. Remote entry system stopped working. Was out of warranty, cost about $600 to fix. Shortly thereafter car would not start. When ignition key was turned there was absolutely no response. If you messed with the shift lever and ignition key for a while it would finally start. Another $600 to replace ignition switch and some sensors. Traction control light comes on for no reason. Dealer can't find cause. Electrical/computer system very unreliable. Lots of road noise, very poor sound insulation. Just traded it in for a Ford. I'm done with GM.

Good gas mileage for a full size car.

More reliable electrical/computer system needed. Better sound insulation.

What's it worth?
By sherian carter

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This has been the best car I have ever owned. I purchased it after totaling a Buick LeSabre because of the sturdy structure of the car. Gas mileage has been excellent. The only problem I've had was a transmission that was covered by the warranty. I've received compliments on the car over and over again even being 5 years old. If I could replace it I would like to have the same car again.

Power seats, cruse control, CD player, body style

I don't know how you could improve on this car.