Used 2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews - 132 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

A piece of a clunker
By steve may

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is a piece of junk. Had a $3200 transmission and manifold gasket repair, had to replace two sensors for the idle for $180 and also had to have this vehicle completely grounded again to fix the temp gauge/ac not working issue...$160 Rattles like crazy, handling stinks!

Decent acceleration and mpg. Good stereo. Decent brakes

GM learn how to make decent cars!

Would buy another one
By Far North

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car in 2005 with about 100,000. Have 133,000 on it now. Haven't any major problems. Gets great gas mileage for a large sedan and the motor runs smooth. Lots of room for a tall guy. Only complaints are some funky electrical problems. The turn signals work intermittently and the power window switches had to be replaced.

Gas mileage, lots of room, nice ride, and nice running engine.

More attention needs to be paid to the electrical components.

My tranny
By walkhud

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car at 188,000km. It had a new transmission 1 year before we purchased it so we thought we were safe despite the mileage. Transmission went within 1,000km. They said there was a problem with a heater that warms the transmission fluid and that killed 2 transmissions ($2500 CDN to fix). New battery ($200). Oil in our coolant led to a new radiator ($800 CDN to fix). Now we have oil in our coolant again 2 months later...we'll wait and see now. By the way, we've only driven 5,000km! That's $0.70/km not counting car payments/insurance/gas.

Interior and trunk space. Nice looking car. Great to drive.

Reliability.

Junk
By alan

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car because of the low gas mileage for this size car. It is a comfortable 6 passenger car. But you never know when you may have to walk. The 3.4 has defective intake gaskets which I have replaced. The signal light blinkers are defective. The brake rotors are defective. I have another problem with engine misfire now. This car is the most unreliable car I have ever owned.

Roomy, comfort, style, gas mileage.

Better quaility, reliability

Run Far Far Away!
By Piece of Junk

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've only put 24k miles on this car and have had to replace brakes and rotors twice. Thermostat twice, the temp gauge keeps going out and when that happens the air/heat doesn't work properly. New exhaust system only to find out it was recalled and gm only reimbursed me 60% of the cost. Rattles between 55-65. Performance is horrible. Gas mileage is nowhere near what GM claims. And this week the transmission just went out. I am buying Japanese from now on. This car is completely unreliable and I would recommend you not even test drive it. I now have so much negative equity that I have to buy a much more expensive car to carry it.

Steering wheel audio controls, heated seats.

Scrap this car! Recall to all owners. Burn it, run it off a cliff. You can't improve upon junk!