Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews - 136 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet HHR

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Back in black and no windows
By Dennis L

2008 Chevrolet HHR Panel LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

A head turner you'd think I have the only black panel hhr in NE ohio. I put custom black wheels on it and that is it. Everyone has something positive to say about it everywhere I happen to park. A friend at work bought one a week after seeing mine. Nuff said there, contagious I say! I have to admit I first only bought because I nailed the price. The dealership didn't even fill my tank! I stole it and really didn't care that the only gas left was what I had put in it for my test drive. I don't use cheap gas anyway in my cars (there is a difference in performance), I don't care what you drive. So the HHR has won me over and the vehicle is perfect for my horse duties, the truck stays put.

Style, performance of the 2.2L. Paint is really nice and deep shine. Handles well and is quiet. Seats for a 6'3" guy are very comfortable, leg room is great. Stock radio and speakers are really good. That shocked me how well the sound is for a stock item. No windows means less heat when parked.

Telescopic steering wheel. A better hidden muffler. I'm going to paint mine black to match the Panel Wagon.

All frosting- no cake
By Fritzo2162

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The HHR looks sharp on the outside. Nice curves, cool retro looks, good paint. However, the inside looks like something out of a 1980's era car. Cheap foam plastic that scratches easily covers every inch of the cabin. The standard stereo puts the speakers on the floor, so it sounds muddy. Windshield is very small, so your field of view is a bit limited. The sunroof works well and the controls for it are well placed. There's also a handy in-dash storage space that holds an IPod, GPS, sunglasses, etc. There are three poorly places cup holders (which makes a trip in a car build for 4 interesting), back seat is very cramped.

Great gas mileage with 2.2L (30mpg+ on hwy!). Acceleration is nice despite smaller engine. Sun roof controls are well thought out. Dashboard gauges are easy to read.

The interior of this car is exactly why the US car industry has the image that it does. Embarrassingly cheap foam plastic, awkward window controls, cramped passenger space, a tiny windshield, and the fact I've had to have the car in for brake service 3 times in a year = poor car. Skip this turkey.

Fun
By bob's card house

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

14 months 18000 Miles. LT2 w/2.4L engine. Most fun I've had in 35 years. Demoed the 2.2 bought the 2.4 engine. Stronger engine, fatter tires, tighter suspension made it a completely different vehicle. It loves to be driven. Average economy about 27, trips yield 35. Hard plastic door panels make it easy to knock WI snow off shoes. Installed new "studless snow tires" all around and winter traction and handling were nearly as good as summer time. I'm 6'2" and I can't sit in ANY car with a sunroof.

2.4 engine and sport tuned suspension. Excellent 7 speaker sound system. Both part of the LT2 package. Also have the leather seats. Also tows behind my motor home without a trailer or vehicle modifications.

Power window controls are different, but so are steering wheel mounted controls and windshield wiper/washer control positions. But one can learn.

fantastic family car
By kmak

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great vehicle for a small family. We traded in a grocery-getter mini van for the HHR, and haven't looked back for a second. Stylish and fun to drive, with quite a few modern options, plus plenty of room. I like the mix of classic chevy style combined with modern technology. Very smooth, solid ride. No problems to mention except an issue with the driver's power lock and the brakes are noisy. As far as day to day use and performance, this vehicle is a big success. The back seats lay flat in about 3 seconds and you can haul a ton of stuff as a result. We tackled a yard sale a couple weeks back and had no issues cramming this car of stuff we needed to sell. Kids love it.

remote start, handling, fuel economy, the way it looks, functional aspect with the seats dropped flat

put in a rear arm rest with built-in cupholders, move power window buttons to the traditional spot, and make non- squeaky brakes

GREAT LITTLE ROCK
By corky

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Love the darn thing so far. Have had no problems and get great mileage in and out of town. Bought it used and would buy another. Kept the suburban for the heavy hauling. We call it our little burb.

Small but more room than it looks. Easy and fun to drive. My wife loves the remote start and heated seats.

counsel