Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

family second driver
By mr.m

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased used hhr as second vehicle for the family. So far we are enjoying it. Have spent some money on performance upgrades and a set of wheels (had to get rid of those ugly hub caps) now my son doesn't call it lame looking any more. Could use some help in the interior though. Needs the center arm rests located a little higher so you can place a cup in the holder without having to raise the arm rest and it would also make it a little more comfortable. Please keep up the good work in the design of cool looking little economy cars. Not those lame looking hybribs (prius) that the competition makes.

Cute and eyecatching, easy to drive...
By HHRFan

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My 2008 HHR LS is an eye catcher in "orange". Black interior is neat, stays clean looking longer than lighter colors. All controls super easy to use, air, radio, windows, etc.. Fuel economy not as good as advertised but okay. The 2.2 engine is fine around the city but you have to stomp the gas pedal when pulling on to the highway, that is a disappointment, would have liked the larger engine, we learn from our mistakes. Large, easy open tailgate, storage area a big plus, so easy to load and unload. Cabin is pretty quiet, as is the engine..so far...we live in hope. All in all, I do like the vehicle, would recommend for the price, but go to GOOD dealer, don't get ripped off as I did!

Easy lock/unlock doors with key fob, easy open rear cargo door and cargo area, automatic lights on and off, key fob engine start, "panic" feature on key fob, adequate air condition/heat vents that can be moved to any position.

Larger engine on all models, more padding on front seats, more electric controls on driver's seat,i.e. to raise seat UP for short people, raise vehicle slightly to avoid high front parking curbs, auto/inside rear cargo door open and raise on all models.

It's a personal choice
By elmoresblues

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

For me, this was a great buy. Sure, I could have bought a much better car, but not at anywhere near this price (2008 used , 11k miles, under $12g). I have a bad lower back but I can adjust the driver's seat so that I'm comfortable for hours. Mileage is good. Gauge placement is excellent (in my previous sedan, no matter how I adjusted the steering wheel, I couldn't see the speedometer). MP3 connection is a lifesaver on long trips. Visibility could be better. Only 3 cup holders, but I have 5 kids ¬ó I can't encourage drinking in the car. I also can't encourage them leaving their belongings, so I enjoy the absence of a storage console. And when I'm alone, I can enjoy a quiet ride.

Roominess, economy, design, quiet ride.

Improve visibility, speaker placement, interior materials

The mystery igniton problem!
By Robert Reynolds

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The HHR gets great mileage on long trips about 33mpg, however mine is a manual transmission. The interior needs more cup holders there are only three right down the center console. So with that said there are two in the front and only one in the back for rear passengers. This is a very fun car to drive and is very soild like a truck but rides like a car.

I like the folding rear seats and the amount of storage behind the rear seats, most larger suv's don't even come close to the storage or gas mileage of this vehicle. Also I average about 25mpg around town with this car.

Chevrolet needs to figure out the wiring problems with this vehicles ignition switch, I have had 3 put in and I just reached 17,600 miles. The cloth seat material has also worn out and the driver's seat had to be replaced after I vacuumed it the material simply came apart, and it was not a seam.

enjoy your hhr today !!
By e.n. beatty[canada]

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

A BASIC hhr with a 5spd and a2.2, no traction control, no abs just a plain maroon colored 4door fun car that runs on reg. Gas and gives me a true 30 mpg in the city. Replaced oil with full synthetic and a k&n air filter. Bought it new right off the truck, has 16,000 miles and one visit to the dealer. The hhr has done exactly what I want. It handles great at 75 mph with no wavering behind the big rigs. The steering is sharp and precise however the torque steer is a brute. Behind the driver the available space is amazing. The build quality is on the hi side of good and the paint job was excellent. Overall I'm pleased and oh yes I drive it hard and fast no slakkin in the sun. Gas, clutch, gone.

overall size, shape and exterior visual iimpact.exterior layout is very inviting to be customized.e.g.the panel van

cup holders are a real pain especially with a stick shift. no tie down rings on the rear deck gate. not enough bling yet for this vehicle. take the 4 wheel drive from toyota matrix and drop it in the hhr.