Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews - 136 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet HHR

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Slides in the Snow
By Susan

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is scary to drive in the snow. There's a lot of sliding, even when driving at slow rates of speed. I've had to put heavy items in the back, as if I were driving a pickup truck. The windows are difficult to see out of, because they are so small; in order to see traffic signals and there are a lot of blind spots, because of the design of the front windows. I also had the rattling and shaking with the sway bar when I would brake. If I had to do it over again....I'd look a little harder...

I love it, the wife hates it.
By RkyMtnBob

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I really do love this car. I traded down from a 4 door Silverado. Really like the exterior lines and style. I drive 35 city miles to work and get 27mpg summer and 25mpg winter. Plenty of room front and back. Fold down the rear seats and the floor in 3'x5', which is reasonable to get stuff home. The center mounted window controls take getting used to. Small windows as well, just means you have to actually look instead of glance. The 2.4 engine has plenty of go. The Traction Control can get twitchy in snow and ice. I have had the front rotor warping issue, it was fixed fast but I may have to deal with it again. The wife does not like the looks or small windows, but she loves the heated seats.

Style, MPG, cargo room with and without rear seats folded, rear hidden storage area, engine response, 7 speaker radio.

Front brake rotor warpage issues, up front cabin storage, window buttons need to be back lit.

Excellent affordable, dependable car
By Mary Beth

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for almost 2 years and over 37,000 miles. It is used for a 40 mile round trip to work every day and hauling 3 kids around. I've read a couple of reviews from other owners who had chronic problems but I can honestly say I have had absolutely none yet. I think this an excellent car for someone who needs a dependable, affordable yet still sporty looking family car.

Absolute stunning styling and interior looks great, cargo space is awesome. Just a great car all around.

I can't say anything bad about the car other than the same gripes everyone else has, not enough cupholders and gas mileage not as good as advertised. It still has good mileage...between 25 and 28, but certainly not the 30-33 advertised

HHR SS - A True Sleeper
By Powerman

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall, the HHR SS is great for those who need the practicality of a small wagon, but want a surprising balance of performance for the value. Styling preference is very split for this model. If you like 40's retro hot- rods, then this is for you. Dollar for dollar, although not as socially prestigious, from a performance perspective. A GM Perf upgrade is available that maintains the full factory warranty, but raises the power quotients to from stock 260hp/260ft lbs torque to 290hp/315ft lbs torque. Torque steer is mitigated by a standard launch control program.

The HHR SS is a true sleeper; Unexpected performance and handling thanks to the factory 260hp 260 ft/lbs torque can spin the wheels in 3rd if desired. The launch control and competitive modes are also something you wouldn't expect is such a practical platform.

No dome light override. A console rattle had to be found and stopped. A lift glass on the rear liftgate hatch would have been nice (the glass is fixed on the rear hatch).

Mostly Like it
By GM

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car to drive for the money, great on gas,I get about 28 mpg on high way. Very comfortable for the size. I have put about 10,000 miles on the car so far and still like it a lot. I have a small sailboat and this little car is able to tow it without a problem. Two issues I do have is the small windshield makes it hard to see stop lights turn green and to replace a headlight is very awkward, removing front tires to get at the bulbs.

I love the exterior styling, remote start and fog lights

Easier access to headlight bulbs, better interior lights for the front seats