Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews - 136 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet HHR

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

handy liitle thing
By Dom

2008 Chevrolet HHR Panel LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Just a handy cute little car. it's comfort seating sit high like a truck good visibility. rides good very fuel economical have done 6.9l/100km in ideal conditions. winter driving affects it i do closer to 8.9/100km. over all very satisfied. except a few front end noises, has to do with suspension, but i had no problem getting them replaced (stabalizer bars)and they could be removed for someone that does not want to be bothered with replacing them.

like the look, and the space for the size of car the seating room

A little more horse power(it is a bit sluggish)and would be great if it would have integral traction for the winter

HHR good but needs improvements
By star5838

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my HHR in 2008. It really does get 30-32 MPG highway. It is very versatile and easy to drive. You get a lot of nice features for your money. I drive 400-500 miles per week so I spend a lot of time in mine.

I like the tinted windows, on-star, great leg room (front and back seating). We are tall people with long legs. I can whip a u-turn in a tight spot with ease, and it is a nice little wagon for small loads, trips to the garden store or such.

Get rid of the shifter for the automatic! Very poorly located cup holders! It the useless shifter was on the column the cup holders could be located forward. The arm rests are dismal, cheesy, at the wrong height and uncomfortable at best, and they armrests make it awkward to latch the safety belts.

2008 HHR
By Mike

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased at the height of the Gas problem in 08-It is a spunky little car and fun to drive but mileage is average 26 or so. So far have had front brakes, steering motor and column replaced. Now having issue with front suspension noise. Have the 17 inch Alloy wheels look good but ride rough on this little car. Too many mechanical issues for me am concerned about reliability longer term.

Looks, fun to drive and holds the road.

Better build quality

Just the Car I Needed
By Clay

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I needed something reliable, got good gas mileage, and could carry a bunch of stuff. My 2008 HHR does all that! I average ~26 to ~27 MPG and have been amazed at all the stuff I can carry in the back with the seats folded down. Extra storage UNDER the floor is nice also when you want to keep handtools hidden. I could use a little more leg room for my left leg when driving though [the wheel well kinda sticks up there] and the center window controls take some getting used to. Heat/A/C work wonderfully and sound system is nice also. Lots of headroom is nice and yeah, that cargo capacity =)

Cargo Capacity & Gas Mileage! You can comfortably fit four... five if you must. XM radio has also become a "necessity" for long trips.

Needs a better center console for cup holders, map storage, etc. Need a better spot to put your left foot while driving. If you have long legs, it can seem a little cramped.

FUN car after inital bugs worked out
By BeSwift

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought new. Very FUN car. At about 12k developed a major electrical problem that took months to resolve. Car would DIE at random, at speed! Almost got me killed twice on I-95. I'm angry at the horrible customer service I received at count em 3 different dealers before the problem got fixed...more so than the problem itself. Now that problem is resolved, and I've got confidence in it again, I'm very happy with it.

performance, looks, mileage, practicality Did I mention that this car is FUN to drive!

Power Seat adjustments moved to FRONT of the seat. Interior is cheesy cheap.