Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews - 136 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet HHR

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Buyer Beware
By michaellrar

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it for the "fun factor" and was disappointed. It has massive blind spots. Also thought I purchased new and the dealership sold me a demo and did not tell me. Found out after I got my papers in the mail. The controls for the window are in an unsafe place (they have since fixed that I heard). The drink cup holders are a joke at best. I am a big guy so the seat belts take an act of congress to fasten. And did I mention the wimpy armrest that points down when lowered. The tires have the constant tire pressure monitoring system so I am constantly refilling the tires. Needless to say I only drive it about 6,000 miles per year and that is when my daily driver (a 2002 honda civic) is being serviced.

sunroof; gets 29 mpg highway

None. Would not recommend buying new or used. It depreciated 50% when I drove it off the lot and nobody wants a used one at any price.

Few Bugs
By sortafan

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Pretty much got what we paid for. Fun to drive (once you learn how to see out of it), great storage and gas mileage in the 30 mpg range thanks to mostly freeway driving. You get used to the quirky window control placements and cup holder issues. But remotes both failed, radiator sprung a leak and ignition failed (couldn't turn off engine one day). Those thing shouldn't happen in first two years.

Ease of folding down seats, retro look, storage capacity -- holds a bicycle with right set of handlebars.

Air filter more accessible, spare that works on front tires as well.

Great Vehicle
By Kris

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used with 10k miles for $12K. Saved thousands off new and still looks and smells new. Styling is great and there are a lot of customized parts available. It has the solid rear quarter panels which is extremely rare and it gets looks everywhere I go. Great mileage and very user friendly. Highly recommend.

styling, fuel mileage, sunroof, pioneer sound system, smooth ride, easy maintenance except for auto trans fluid fill, lots of storage bins

full gauge package, steering wheel tilt instead of steering column tilt, rear a/c, hydraulic power steering instead of electric, provide trans dipstick for easier fill during filter change, standard rear disk brakes

Great headroom, storage, stereo & looks!
By 08HHR_SpecialEdition

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the 2008 HHR Special Edition (which is kind of like the 1LT trim level with some extra slick cosmetics). I get compliments on this car everywhere I go. I have used the storage capabilities of this vehicle countless times. Both the rear seat and the front passenger seats fold down, with extra storage in the "trunk" floor. Quiet ride, great stereo system with the 7" sub in the back. Mechanically, this HHR has performed flawlessly. Not a single problem. Due to the extended rear end of the HHR, there is a blind spot in back that makes merging lanes a bit tougher. Nothing terrible, but check twice before you make your move. Love the HHR!

Looks, ride, storage, MPG. Best car I've owned in years.

They have fixed this in newer models, but the cup holders are placed annoyingly under the armrests. Addition of electronic blind-zone alerts in the mirrors.

I love my HHR 2LT 2.4
By Irene

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased my 2008 HHR used, it had 25,000 miles on it. Have not had any major issues. Just had a few minor bugs. I must have a lighter foot than some in rural and city driving I avg 26 mpg and on the highway I avg 32. I traded a Mazda 626 in I was looking for another Mazda but was none in stock. Glad I made the switch GM got me back after 20 yrs of owning Dodge and Mazda. I am thinking of going to the SS HHR.

Excellent seating like being in a pickup. Love the leather. Love the retro styling looks good sitting next to our 1950 Chevy Pickup.

Winter traction has a lot of room for improvement. I guess having the wider sport tire is the issue there. So I have come to the conclusion on snow days I just take the 4 wheel drive truck.