Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews - 136 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet HHR

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Get What You Pay For
By mrsyam

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car after our first child was born. We bought it used with 25K miles on it and save a bunch of money than buying it new. It was great at first, but then all sorts of issues started popping up. The rotors have needed replaced 3 different times due to grinding. The CD player stopped working for some reason, but the dealership replaced it for free. The drivers side lock always sticks and I've gotten locked out of my car before with my children in the car because the key fobs also are cheaply made and don't work properly. The newest issue is that the Passlock feature is malfunctioning due to a microchip error in the ignition!!! Trading in for something else.

Body, hatch back

Get ride of the Passlock system!

Good Car but has some problems.
By FFDice

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This was my 1st new car ever. I always liked the look of classic cars and this car caught my eye. I bought this car during the gas price boom and it didn't disappoint me. Average MPG 24- 26. The car does have some squeaks and problems, but still a good car. Dealership has taken care of all my concerns. Back seats lower and can haul a lot of stuff as long as its not filthy dirty.

Good looking car, OnStar is a plus, has all the bells and whistles. I like the small front windshield. Great gas mileage, good handling, and good acceleration.

Armrest is too small, needs better reliable parts. Had mold growing on the condenser, stabilizer bars on the front end needed replaced. Rear door locking mechanism needed replaced. The front of the flare for the rear tires are all scratched up. Chevy should put mud flaps on all of them.

Red Rocket
By Dave Henry

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the car sight unseen, and it had a different seat than the one I tested, and also a sunroof, both of which cut into the very limited headroom. The car is a blast to drive, especially since I added the dealer installed turbo upgrade. Handling and precise steering are surprising in a retro wagon. I have major problems seeing out of the car. The roofless/windshield design make me crouch down to see overhead traffic lights, and the center windshield rear view mirror obstruct vision severely. Also, there's a huge blind spot when changing lanes. The 4 speed auto is missing at least one gear, as the turbo is always trying to make up for the huge gaps. I'd get the manual trans next time.

The motor is very powerful, yet economical. There's plenty of cargo space. I love the styling, and with the SS trim, it gets even better. The steering is very good; precise, and accurate.

I don't know how they'd do it, but the sight lines are beyond terrible for a tall person. They're actually unsafe. The engine has a decided rattle on cold starts, but all SS's do it, so I guess it's normal, just off-putting. I'm actually looking for a replacement, even though I love the car. Not safe

My HHR
By bonnie2008

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I went to a local dealership to look at the a HHR we liked what we saw and we got a fantastic price, our HHR only had 19 miles on the odd and we paid only 13.500.00 for this model. We couldn't be more happier with what we now own. We haven't had one leak we own a 5speed we have great car and we love it

NEW NEW NEW great car stereo,great ride ,comfortable, quick, great on gas mileage,makes trips fun to take again dependable

I really don't have many at all, I would like to have front mad flaps that's about all

Great Little Hauler
By Notcho Trouble

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Usually drive with the back seats folded down. Use to haul lots of items for work and play. Made a carpet for the folded down area and use plastic if hauling something that's dirty. It fits quickly into the hidden storage. Great in the winter I have oversize tires on alloy wheels. Had a problem with brake wobble but dealership took care of it. It does take me longer to get somewhere cause everyone stops to ask me how I like my HHR Looking to buy another one.

Great radio and XM. Fun to drive and parks anywhere. It's my clownmobile.. the arm rests are great..

Window buttons in the middle take some getting used to. Needs a center console for drinks, and would like a roof handle to hang onto when riding..