Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews - 136 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet HHR

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

WORST CAR EVER/CHEVY WORST CUST. SERV. DENIED HELP
By Karen Chacon

2008 Chevrolet HHR Panel LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst car I have ever purchased. It is rickety, tinny, bumpy ANDDD part of an ignition recall. My daughter at college, Arizona freeway 75 mph, loses all power, no power steering. this happens 6 times! avoiding death or serious injury from vehicles on the freeway. Had it to 4 garages before we knew about recall and no one could diagnose the problem. Had ignition fixed, and now this morning, same. 75mph, Semi swerves to miss crushing her. I call GM, they say sorry, not enough people have called/complained or died to help us. Car dealerships won't take it as a trade in because of all the complaints. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR
CHEVY AND GM REFUSED TO HELP US. NOONE CARED ABOUT OUR SAFETY OR LIVES. THANKS CHEVY/GM! WOULD YOU GIVE THIS CAR TO YOUR LOVED ONE?

The HHR that couldn't
By Very

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When the car hit 100.000 miles it stated to be an on going money pit new transmission new starter...door locks would not work engine blew up nothing but problems don't buy one!

piece of crap
By Roberta

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I just financed this car and already had to take it back for recall then my timing chain broke which costed 1000 all for 2 months and now the engine blew this was the worst car experience i every had never again will i purchase from Chevrolet again im so hurt and disappointed

Mislead
By cmmarob

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I owned a VW Passat wagon.
I was getting 26-28 MPG on the highway.
A friend told me about the HHR and that I would receive better gas mileage.
I traded for the HHR and got between 24 and 26 MPG.
Very disappointing to say the least!
Also the space in the back with the seat down is probably around 12 cubic feet smaller than the Passat.
Another great disappointment.
The interior uses a lot of cheap plastics and the window switches are on the center console.
I have owned the car for 2 years and I still have to look for the switches every time I go to use them.

I do like the storage space under the back floor, but what I would like more would be a deeper well in the back for hauling tools and stuff. I find that the stuff I store in the storage space is stuff I almost never use.

I think Chevy should really consider redesigning the entire interior to make it more spacious, solid and more user friendly.

Some issues
By akaskyhigh

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have a few problems with this car.First of all the rotors are always getting warped.I have replaced them several times and still happens again.The right rear passenger window motor has gone out.None of the tire pressure gauges work any longer.The rear seat has gotten cramped since the kids have grown up some.But the gas mileage is great though no doubt.I have 147,000 miles and have had no engine problems.I have noticed if I pull up to a light and I am first I have to lean forward to see the light.

Great gas mileage and when back seat is laid down you can put lots in rear.

Fix rear right window motor problem.Figure out why tire pressure gauges never work.