Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Gets better with every mile
By loopdriver

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I was drawn to the HHR by its combination small-ish size but generous cargo space. I read the reviews, pro and con, and took a test drive. Initially, I wasn't hooked. The test drive was in a loaded LT, which made the car too costly and too gadget-laden to make me leery of potentially costly repairs. My interest in the car held, however, and a year later I test drove an LS with essentially just ABS and side airbags as options (std on the '09s). I liked it. Bought it. Have been driving it for 6 months and still am happy. Very comfortable. Handles well. Lots of fun to drive. Took about a week to adjust to the short windshield and "blind" spots, but no big deal.

Fun to drive and maneuvers quick. You sit a bit higher than in a car, so good visibility.

As others have said, change cupholder placement and add about 2" more windshield at the top. The center PW buttons are no big deal for me.

Update to 5/26 Review
By bb

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I still really enjoy this car after driving it for about 6 months. I've had no problems at all and have noticed quite a few more on the roads lately. The gas mileage isn't quite what I was hoping for - only about 22 mpg, doing almost all city driving - but I can still go 2-3 weeks between fill-ups. I'm still very happy with the LS model, it may not be as fast or as stylish as the LT or SS models, but for just driving back and forth to work and around town it works perfectly.

I really like the cargo space when the rear seat is folded down. There are also a couple of extra little cargo spaces built into the rear area that I just recently discovered. They aren't huge, but are a good place to store an emergency blanket, flashlight, etc.

My biggest complaint is the lack of storage area in the front. The glove box built in the dash is awkward at best and the little space under the radio is pretty much useless. Another console area for storage, especially for CD's, would be a nice addition.

After 4 months
By ksscooter

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been a pleasant surprise so far. It is much quieter than the Acura RSX that I replaced after the Acura had multiple trans problems and the warranty was over. Honda lost me on that car. The Chevy gets great gas mileage, etc. It is hard sometimes to see out of so I have to be sure, the power window switches are placed out of reach, but no car is perfect. My black lab is in heaven with her head hanging out the right rear window. The stereo is A-OK. Mine is a stick shift because I am a stick shift guy and I am happy with the performance of the trans. The car is quiet, rattle free, compact, good mileage, stylish, and my dog loves it. I'd buy a another one in a heart beat.

From Explorer to HHR
By Landis

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted to trade in my Explorer Limited to save on gas and to do that was tough because I loved that truck. I tested the Equinox (didn't like gas mileage)for the heck of it look at the HHR and I have never looked back. This car has lots of room to carry stuff and the gas mileage is the best I've ever had in the 30 years I've been driving cars. The only thing I disliked on this car is the window controls but that's been changed for the '09 model I think.

OnStar, tire pressure monitoring, remote start, rear storage compartments.

Window control on door panel instead, more lighting in cabin area, center console versus armrest.

Enjoy the HHR
By Mike

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle in May mainly due to (1) an immediate need for a vehicle, (2) a desire to get better gas mileage and (3) a very good Memorial Day weekend sale. I have been pleasantly surprised by the vehicle. It is fun to drive and has more pep than I expected.

Storage space, comfort, surprisingly large back seat - fits all three of my kids comfortably, remote start, heating/cooling system

As everyone has mentioned, window buttons and cup holders. For me, especially the cup holders. They are just at a bad location for the design of the front interior.