Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews - 136 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet HHR

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Practical, Fun and Stylish (for some)
By 87silver

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought an HHR because I need a practical vehicle with good gas mileage. For those who like the '40s chopped top hot rod look, the HHR hits the mark and surely is set apart from its Asian counterparts. I see the hard surfaces in the interior as a virtue, since my kids always come back muddy from bicycle sports events and its durable as easy to clean for this purpose. I opted for the SS version that was engineered by GM Performance Division. It handles like a sports car and has the acceleration of a rocket. My experience with actual fuel mileage is about 27.5mpg for combined 70/30 hwy/city with the 2.0L Turbo. I'm very happy with my HHR SS and it fits my specific transportation needs well.

The HHR SS Turbo is so much fun to drive that it is almost addictive. I didn't expect this level of driving experience. The styling is "love or hate". If you understand what it represents, you'll be a supporter. I am a hot rod fan and this is a little piece of styling nostalgia that hits the mark.

The standard transmission models do not have center arm rests on the seats. This is so that they do not get in the way for shifting. But for long highway trips when shifting is less required, it would have been nice to have them fold down when needed, then fold back for city driving.

I'm buying american again
By Bruce

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The HHR has turned me back were I should be buying American. This vehicle is a lot of fun to drive and some of my co-workers also own HHRs and they just love them. I have a SS and the power is great and I did not have to give up great gas mileage. The HHR is a keeper I am proud to own a chevy and my next car will be a chevy. Thanks for building a car I can be proud of and Love to drive.

The body style and the engine.

The plastic in the interior looks cheap but and could be upgraded to make people love the vehicle even more.

Fun car with hit or miss looks
By subcult

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We have put 20k miles on this car and are 1 month shy of a year of ownership. We have had 0 problems everything works no repairs. It was bought for my wife but now that we have 3 car seats we had to get a Mini- van, so now the HHR is mine. The car is fun to drive and gets great gas mileage we are averaging 26 mpg after a winter of letting the car idle for 5+ minutes while it warmed and we loaded up the car seats.

The Chrome Package

Better placement of cup holders in front with the arm rests down you can't get to your tasty beverages.

Gets the job done
By okeydokey

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Good Gas mileage and decent room. Quieter and more solid feeling than the Vibe. Merging onto the express way can be a challenge as the little motor tries as best it can.

Gas mileage and room (can fit my bike in the back without taking the wheel off).

Seat comfort, placement of window controls and door locks not intuitive. Interior lighting is terrible.

HHR Build Quality Questionable...
By Redlinetoys

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I get 35mpg on the highway (manual trans) and about 24 in town. The styling is good and it is fun to drive for the money. I baby the vehicle and take extreme care of it, but question what I am up for long term regarding quality (based on experience so far). Month 1 headliner rattle getting worse fast, Month 2 Engine squeal needs repaired through service bulletin, Month 3 gold chevy emblem on back has water in it, Month 4 noticed knock in front suspension when cold, Month 5 brakes squeal at EVERY stop, Month 6 inside coat hook is stuck in up position, Month 7 Window grease in door is streaking driver window, Month 8 radio quits. Haven't had it 9 months yet. Wonder what is next??????

Bright Red, good mileage, good price, fun to drive with manual trans.

Maybe the engineers should drive this vehicle a few thousand miles and actually engineer fixes for the problems. Take a look at the HHR forums where the same problems as mine are being discussed. Never had these problems with our PT Cruiser...