Used 2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon Consumer Reviews - 390 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Beach Buggy Worries
By Jim Scott

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought my used 2006 HHR LT2 model with all the bells and whistles and I love to drive it. It handles nice and I feel comfortable in it. Gas goes a long way on a tank for at least a week. I got it as my beach buggy, the SUV room and style with nice car features really impressed me. I see a future that I am unsure about after reading some of these reviews though? I agree cup holders are too low, and there are blind spots that I got use to or get the cheap blind spot mirrors. Trying to get use to window control location also, these are basic complaints though, I would of loved a big console with them on that like in a Jeep Liberty or something so easier to reach, but all and all love it.

Heated seats, fold down seats, arm rests, bright colorful dash at night. The purple light that I thought was to help me see, but is for letting you know you should have headlights on, pretty cool. Running boards, comfort of my ride in it. Stereo nice with MP3, XM radio, CD and steering wheel control

Radio station reception poor on most all local stations? anybody know why? all static except 1 or 2 stations. I had the leak also, dealer took car of, was stopped up drain in sunroof. Also now the sunroof is squeaking, is that sign of it going bad like what I have read when you are closing it?

Quality & Moon Roof Problems
By Mark DeBaker

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The moon roof made noise from the start. The dealer put foam in it twice. Turns out after the warranty was up that the actuator is failing. It cannot be tightened & is a $1,000.00 repair that GM will not back up. The glass can be seen bouncing. The car hydroplanes in light rain, slush and snow because of the wide low profile tires. Expect to pay a fortune to replace the low profile tires. Window controls are poorly located. Rear passenger seating is small. Wipers stop working sometimes. Takes a technician to replace the air cleaner. Gas mileage is very good. Disappointed that GM will not back up Mfg defects. Do not leave the dealership without documented repair paperwork.

The gas mileage has been this cars saving grace. I drive long distances daily and it gets from 26-34 miles per gallon depending on the grade of fuel.

GM needs to stand behind their defective moon roofs. They cannot be repaired. They must be replaced. Even if I spend the $1000 to repair it, I can expect a return failure. They need to do something about these vehicles hydroplaning. I'd suggest a narrower rim. Vehicle has various electrical issues

Super Ride
By gozmore

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is such a blast to own and drive, I am the second owner, 39,000 miles, 33 miles to gallon on highway, great sound system, great visibility,I get people's attention where-ever I go, 24 miles per gallon city, hauling capacity is unbelievable, I had a custom trailer hitch added to pull a small trailer.I added the "Chevrolet" word on the front nose and on each side of the hood, the color is light gold with saddle trim, I also added power air filter system

The sporty looks, I have added many chrome trim items including, door trim, speaker trim, exterior light trim, chrome gas door, chrome antenna cover, special chrome wheels, NASCAR good year tires, rear cargo HHR mat, added smoked window visors which are great, have rear roof spoiler which is great

Better locate the cup holders or at least raise them up to seat height, better locate the window controls should have been on door, relocate rear window wiper controls.

Herby's Hot Rod
By Harmonica Herb

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I don't know another car that could have reacted as quick as my HHR did when another car slammed on brakes in front of me. Another driver said," I don't know how you missed that guy."

6 way heated seats, sound system, turbo, sunroof,AC, roof rack

location of ashtray and cup holders. Cup holders don't fit travel cup snuggly. Windshield..hard to see traffic light when your at stop line.No DVD for rear passengers. Rear Chevy emblem gold paint "melting down" ?

Smooth Going
By Frank

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've run 70,000+ miles and finally needed my first repair - replacing the cheap front brakes. With rarely required routine maintenance (including oil changes every 10K or so with Mobil 1), and 27-30 MPG, you couldn't ask for a more reliable lower cost to maintain car. I got all the options except a sunroof (too tall) that makes it a pleasure to drive. Added antiroll bars that really tightened up highway handling.

Fuel economy, reliability, looks, can carry huge loads of cargo but can park in compact car parking spots.

Window switch location, cheap interior plastics, more sound deadening materials.