Used 2006 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews - 391 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet HHR

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

A Better Cruiser than PT
By Clint

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My only gripes with my HHR 2LT are that: 1. The rear spoiler (which I did not order) is a *requirement* to keep rain/snow runoff off of the back glass. It's difficult to see; 2. There was no available back-up sensor. It's difficult to see when parallel parking; 3. The supercharged engine from the Cobalt is NOT available; 4. The mileage isn't great for a 4- cylinder. It would probably be better with a 5-speed automatic (like is offered in the Honda Civic...a like-priced vehicle). Other than these items, it's quite a lot of vehicle for the price. Front and side visibility are great, the breaks have good feel, the controls are thoughtfully laid out. Good bang-for-the-buck!

MP3 CD player, no iPOD needed!

I love my HHR
By Sarah

2006 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Such a comfortable drive, I've only had it a few weeks and I've got no real complaints. The seats are quite comfy, although the headrest adjuster button is difficult to easily get at. I wish the panel between the front seats was higher, it is low for reaching down. The gas guage dial - my other GM cars read from empty (left) to full (right), this car is the opposite, it's not a big deal once you know it, it just surprised me a few km into picking it up from the dealer the gas warning light went on and I thought the tank was full, thank goodness I was in the city.

I love the height you get without SUV insurance rates, I love the extra pop- up dash storage and I'm ever so glad that I splurged on the sunroof.

The cupholder in the front seat should be placed somewhere usable! And since when aren't cars sold with their doughnut tire? Greater colour range would be appreciated. Why waste a colour on orange for the 2 people that select it?

Much more than a PT Cruiser
By Keith

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When I first looked at the HHR, I immediately drew a comparison between it and Chrysler's PT Cruiser. However, a retro wagon appearance is all they share. The HHR is towable 4 wheels down in an automatic, the PT is not. And although they have similar cargo room (about 65 cu ft., the seats need to be removed from the PT to accomplish this where in the HHR, they fold flat. Additionally, many items, like A/C and cruise control are options on the base model PT, but standard in the HHR LS. Finally, with a larger fuel tank & better fuel economy (23/30 vice 21/26 for PT with an automatic) I will be stopping less often to fill up. So the HHR is not a copy, but an upgrade from the PT Cruiser.

4 wheel flat towable in an automatic. Tons of cargo room. Comfortable and easy to drive. Speed sensitive volume control.

Dress up the interior, especially the door panels, pretty cheap plastic looking.

Wow, Neat Car
By Brian

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car July 4th 2006. Bought the LT Summit White(wow it really is BRIGHT)pretty much loaded out. The OnStar is a big deal for the wife and kids and the XM is awesome. The steering is unbelievable, you can almost turn circle in a normal 2 lane road with no problem. Only bad thing is I don't get to drive it, the wife has taken over.

XM, OnStar, sunroof, leather seats, 4 wheel antilock brakes, and side curtain airbags all the way to the back. Feel safe.

The door locks are too high and ouch if you hit them. I wish they had a DVD feature you could add on.

It's the greatest!
By robert boos

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My first Chevy in 12 years and the moment I saw it on the road, I fell in love. Had 1994 Chevrolet SS and it beats that one. It is a head turner and I believe the PT Cruiser is a vehicle of the past, compared to the HHR. The ride, the look, the color (black) with the running boards, sunroof and soon to add fog lamps and roof rack will really set it off. Nice going to the people at GM.

The design and ride.