Used 2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

A Very Questionable Investment
By erthfriend

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I was surprised seeing that this car rated 4 out of 5 stars. The gas mileage was supposed to be 32, but we never got better than 23 mpg. Even allowing for the AWD, we expected upper 20s. There was always a rattling coming from the engine that sounded like pins and needles shaking in a tin can. At 60K, I took it in for an oil change and the dealer could find no oil on the stick at all. No oil pressure guage. No warning light. At 80K, the oil use was only worsening. The dealer said it warranted a ring job. Since the warranty was expiring at 100K, we traded it in on a Prius V, taking a $6K hit. The GM people are some of the best. Too bad this is a crappy car.

The cabin and the ride are the best parts of the Equinox experience. You can see videos on You Tube showing the interior. It's almost like a space ship. Ours had a sunroof that we almost never used, and bluetooth that we used all the time. The interior is very similar to the Chevy Cruze, on a much larger scale.

I think it all comes down to two words: Quality Control. Whether the fault lies in the engineering(I am guessing it does since our complaints seem fairly well represented in these comments), or the manufacture, someone needs to control quality at GM. A pretty car with a comfortable ride should be a bonus, not a saving grace.

Worst Car I've Ever Owned. No GM Support
By bradjohnson08

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

UPDATE 5/18/2017 - I bought a new car last week and I made sure it WAS NOT a GM product after their terrible vehicle and customer service. Also, 5 family members have bought new cars since this ordeal and even they decided to not buy GM solely based on how terribly they treated this incident. To boot, 4 of those family members retired from GM. Keep alienating yourself GM and I doubt you'll get a buy-out next time!

UPDATE 11/18/2016 - I have now found out that GM has owned up to ALL of the issues I had with this vehicle that they FLAT OUT DENIED and were never willing to help me when I had them for several years. They have now sent out notices to replace entire engines and more for these vehicles experiencing the issues that I was having with mine the whole time I "owned" it. However, since I was forced to sell my vehicle due to the challenges it presented on a daily basis I am left with a different car and 5 more years of payments instead of the GM Equinox that would have been paid off some time ago. This just furthers the bad taste in my mouth and pure disdain I feel for General Motors. GM IS BY FAR THE WORST COMPANY/VEHICLE BRAND in quality as well as customer service. I might as well have just threw my money at them to rent it for years then give it back to them to fix and sell again. What a joke - My family and friends have now listened to my story and NOT ONE of them have bought a new or used GM vehicle and have branched out to the "foreign" makes that they have always said they would "never" try due to loyalty to a brand that doesn't understand how to properly appreciate it's customers that tried to stick with them until they felt unwanted and forced to move on. The only way that GM would ever possibly get back in good standing with it's irate customers is if they learned how to treat them and offer real incentives when they encounter issues.

UPDATE 5/18/2016 - This car was the biggest mistake I've ever made in terms of a large purchase. After 2 years of constant circles with GM and them continuing to own up to their short comings they finally made me an offer to turn in or replace. They offered $6,500!!!!!! and they said this was "generous" since it was used and had lots of issues. Keep in mind - these are issues they denied until this point and refused to assist. I hit my breaking point and decided to go to another local dealer of a brand I swore I would NEVER drive because I'm a "GM person from a GM family" but after I walked in the doors and they offered me OVER DOUBLE to turn it in and buy a car from them that has higher ratings and WAYYYY less expensive - not to mention for american made than GM and their false claims. I normally wouldn't even turn in a car because they offer so little but I didn't wish to look an individual in the face and sell them this hunk of crap. I knew this dealer would go through and replace the things that GM refused to do over the years. In closing - I will NEVER own another GM car and my whole family that is brand loyal and over 10 family members who retired from GM have said they will never own GM, as well. Another case of GM not understanding it's customer base and selling an inferior product for a premium then not backing their garbage models and wiggling out of everything to not help. I am now paying off a new car instead of riding out my Equinox until the wheels fell off because, sadly, the wheels will fall off an equinox before it hits 50,000 miles.

PLEASE - IF YOU'RE READING THIS - SAVE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY AND DON'T BUY AN EQUINOX. ON SECOND THOUGHT, DON'T BUY GM AT ALL BECAUSE THEY WON'T HELP YOU WITH THEIR PRODUCT EVEN IF IT'S CLEARLY A LEMON OR PROBLEM-RIDDEN IN WARRANTY PERIOD.

February 2011 – 7,099 miles - Complaint of jerkiness while shifting. Weird shifting.
Action taken – Seat belt recall, nothing done concerning our complaint except charge us for an oil change.

November 2011 – 17,683 miles - Further shifting issues and chugs while driving. Loud ratting and grinding from under hood by engine. Knocking in back. Slow to take off from a stop. Has stalled 2 times driving.
Action taken – Reprogrammed engine control module. Said they couldn’t duplicate the rest.

April 2012 – 22,365 miles - Stalled more times. Knocking in engine and rattling. Still shifts incorrectly. Sputters and stalls while driving. Transmission leak.

Poor investment
By teddy21

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

As far as the ride quillity, it was a great hwy car , fit and trim great, room was also good.
But when a car
company developes
A car company you think they would test this engine for problems, leaks, burning oil, ruff idle and so on.

Vehicle Vibrates at highway speeds over 50 MPH
By navyofficer211

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Overall, I was pleased with the 2011 Equinox LTZ in the winter conditions. I put more highway miles on it than in actual weather conditions. My odometer read 28,000 when I had the first incident of a vibration over 50 mph and the check engine light came on briefly and stayed on for an hour or so. I thought it was the tires, so I had them checked, I had new summer all season tires on, and the tires were fine, and so I had the vehicle checked for mechanical problems, no codes were discovered and the check engine light went off.

A week ago my odometer reads 87000 and the same situation occurs with this vibration, the difference is that it occurs at all speeds now, not just highway speeds.

AWD, Navigation and the Sirius XM, gas mileage and comfort.

I think the wheels might be too big or heavy for this AWD system, cause it drags before it kicks in. The SUV had 19 inch chrome factory rims. It might cause the AWD system to overwork or overheat to cause this vibration?

BAD BAD Choice in a vehicle..
By redding63

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Where do I start... first of all I owned the vehicle for 5 days to have it taken in to the dealership for costly repairs! Yes my warranty covered it but still, I had to have the water pump,fuel pump and timing chain all replaced! Then a month later the check engine light comes on so I called On Star to have them diagnose the issue,come to find out its misfiring.AND we smell gas in the oil AND our remote start wont work because of the check engine light that's on.The dealership has us waiting a week to bring it in. Not only is that bad business ,but to find out they may or may not give us a rental car to drive. Do I feel safe in this vehicle? NO absolutely NOT!

Its a nice and beautiful vehicle on the outside but under the hood I don't trust it!

GM needs to back their consumers who make them millions of dollars buying their vehicles. Their manufacturing junk and we are being ripped off by GM. I have called GM numerous times on complaints and its a no win situation with them! Im ready to go foreign now and im a diehard stand behind GM products person, but im quickly swaying from ever doing business with GM ever again!