Used 2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Do yourself a favor and RUN away from this car!
By Amy

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased the car used, a little over 100K miles on the car when we purchased. A few hours after we left the dealership, the car began idling rough when stopped, hesitated when you try to accelerate, and an engine light came on (P0420). The car began rough idling anytime it wasn't in motion > 10mph. The engine shakes very hard. The car continues to run 3-6 seconds after you remove the key. When you accelerate from a stop or when coasting the car jerks forward like you stomped on the gas pedal. Sometimes when you try to accelerate the car just kinda sits there for a few seconds before it decides to move. It sounds like a big diesel truck when you crank the car - so embarrassing. These issues continued to happen the entire time we were taking it to the dealership, and still happen today. The car also only get about 22 mpg highway / city combined.
We took the car back to the dealership not even a week after purchasing - they replaced spark plugs and sent us on our way. The engine light returned again (P0420 and P0303). Took the car back and the dealership replaced the 3rd coil pack. Engine light returned again - dealership said it was some kind of seal and it was "fixed". Engine light returned again - dealership "couldn't duplicate" the issue and insinuated that it was fine. Kept insisting that the car does not have any issues when they have it and they have tried sitting, slow driving, etc. I recorded the issues on my cell phone and text them to the dealership. Suddenly their story changed to "clearly there is something wrong with the car and we need to get it fixed asap." No kidding... We opened a case with GM customer care (don't even waste your time there). GM told us to take it to a certified dealership and have diagnostics run ($100). They told us if it was a manufacturer defect they would cover the cost of repairs and reimburse the $100 diagnostic fee. It turned out to be a known issue - also a manufacturer defect but suddenly GM decided they couldn't cover the cost of repair because the car had over 100K miles. They knew this BEFORE asking us to take it to the dealership to begin with. They told us the fix was to have the catalytic converter and O2 sensor replaced ($1500).
We took the car back to the dealership we purchased it from, and they sent it to another repair shop because they couldn't fix the issues themselves. Not even a week after the catalytic converter and O2 sensor were replaced the issues returned. I've given up hope and I've had it with this car. We tried to trade it in, but nobody will give us anywhere near what we paid for it because it runs like crap and sounds awful. Just praying the car doesn't die before we can pay down the balance enough to be able to trade the car without losing thousands on it.
Seriously, do yourself a favor and stay away from GM cars. Worst car buying experience ever. My 13 year old Honda with almost 200K miles ran better than this 4 year old car. Seriously regret spending money on this POS.

Overall view.
By Robert Poole

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I read all reviews. The sluggish start problems I corrected with a computer module reprogram. As for A/C compressor problem my vehicles is noisy also. I will install an aftermarket model compressor. Other than that I have no complaints. I drive all GM products and recognize some short comings. My vehicle has 45000 mi. and uses no oil between 8000 mi changes. Mileage is 25 on average city/hwy mix, I run 70 on interstate. I am a mechanic aircraft and car. I can overcome small problems. Thats my perspective.

LOVE IT!
By Brittany

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought my Equinox used from my local dealer. I went from a 2013 Malibu, to the 2011 equinox and I couldn't be more pleased. This car is perfect for me especially since I have a child in a car seat. Easily fits 3 car seats on the back seat. NO problems at all. First owner took very great care of the care and kept maintenance up as well. It does get expected gas mileage 30+ hwy and roughly 23+ city. Not to mention the DVD system works flawlessly and my baby loves it! I've seen the bad reviews on these cars so I guess every car is different bc so far I haven't had a problem out of mine!

Run as far away from these vehicles as you can!
By Carlos

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We purchased our vehicle, 2011 LTZ 4 cylinder with navigation and rear dvd player, brand new. Now 4 years later it is on its 3rd transmission and has been at the dealership more times than I can count. The navigation unit would reset to Washington DC as a starting point whenever we tried to located an address and the clock hardly ever worked. The dealer tried doing a software reset and ended up replacing the unit when it was 1 year old. When it happened the 2nd time they said the unit was out of warranty so we had to deal with it. The fuel efficiency is a joke. GM stated this vehicle at 32 mpg and we average 21 on mixed city driving. Our warranty is almost up and we're already looking to trade this in.

Never again
By Tonya Singletary

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Where do I begin...... 2011 Equinox brought brand new. I'm a commuter so I must keep up maintenance, get oil changes regularly (not from the dealer). Transmission goes out at 60,000 which took a month to repair. now 70,000 major oil leak which of course cause engine issues. Have bumper to bumper warranty BUT GMC doesn't want to pay, claims issue occurred to not changing oil. Had to produce receipts of proof that I've had oil changes.
Once all is said and done trading it in and never going back to Chevrolet.