Used 2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

LOVE IT!
By Brittany

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought my Equinox used from my local dealer. I went from a 2013 Malibu, to the 2011 equinox and I couldn't be more pleased. This car is perfect for me especially since I have a child in a car seat. Easily fits 3 car seats on the back seat. NO problems at all. First owner took very great care of the care and kept maintenance up as well. It does get expected gas mileage 30+ hwy and roughly 23+ city. Not to mention the DVD system works flawlessly and my baby loves it! I've seen the bad reviews on these cars so I guess every car is different bc so far I haven't had a problem out of mine!

Run as far away from these vehicles as you can!
By Carlos

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We purchased our vehicle, 2011 LTZ 4 cylinder with navigation and rear dvd player, brand new. Now 4 years later it is on its 3rd transmission and has been at the dealership more times than I can count. The navigation unit would reset to Washington DC as a starting point whenever we tried to located an address and the clock hardly ever worked. The dealer tried doing a software reset and ended up replacing the unit when it was 1 year old. When it happened the 2nd time they said the unit was out of warranty so we had to deal with it. The fuel efficiency is a joke. GM stated this vehicle at 32 mpg and we average 21 on mixed city driving. Our warranty is almost up and we're already looking to trade this in.

Never again
By Tonya Singletary

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Where do I begin...... 2011 Equinox brought brand new. I'm a commuter so I must keep up maintenance, get oil changes regularly (not from the dealer). Transmission goes out at 60,000 which took a month to repair. now 70,000 major oil leak which of course cause engine issues. Have bumper to bumper warranty BUT GMC doesn't want to pay, claims issue occurred to not changing oil. Had to produce receipts of proof that I've had oil changes.
Once all is said and done trading it in and never going back to Chevrolet.

A Very Questionable Investment
By erthfriend

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I was surprised seeing that this car rated 4 out of 5 stars. The gas mileage was supposed to be 32, but we never got better than 23 mpg. Even allowing for the AWD, we expected upper 20s. There was always a rattling coming from the engine that sounded like pins and needles shaking in a tin can. At 60K, I took it in for an oil change and the dealer could find no oil on the stick at all. No oil pressure guage. No warning light. At 80K, the oil use was only worsening. The dealer said it warranted a ring job. Since the warranty was expiring at 100K, we traded it in on a Prius V, taking a $6K hit. The GM people are some of the best. Too bad this is a crappy car.

The cabin and the ride are the best parts of the Equinox experience. You can see videos on You Tube showing the interior. It's almost like a space ship. Ours had a sunroof that we almost never used, and bluetooth that we used all the time. The interior is very similar to the Chevy Cruze, on a much larger scale.

I think it all comes down to two words: Quality Control. Whether the fault lies in the engineering(I am guessing it does since our complaints seem fairly well represented in these comments), or the manufacture, someone needs to control quality at GM. A pretty car with a comfortable ride should be a bonus, not a saving grace.

Worst Car I've Ever Owned. No GM Support
By bradjohnson08

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

UPDATE 11/18/2016 - I have now found out that GM has owned up to ALL of the issues I had with this vehicle that they FLAT OUT DENIED and were never willing to help me when I had them for several years. They have now sent out notices to replace entire engines and more for these vehicles experiencing the issues that I was having with mine the whole time I "owned" it. However, since I was forced to sell my vehicle due to the challenges it presented on a daily basis I am left with a different car and 5 more years of payments instead of the GM Equinox that would have been paid off some time ago. This just furthers the bad taste in my mouth and pure disdain I feel for General Motors. GM IS BY FAR THE WORST COMPANY/VEHICLE BRAND in quality as well as customer service. I might as well have just threw my money at them to rent it for years then give it back to them to fix and sell again. What a joke - My family and friends have now listened to my story and NOT ONE of them have bought a new or used GM vehicle and have branched out to the "foreign" makes that they have always said they would "never" try due to loyalty to a brand that doesn't understand how to properly appreciate it's customers that tried to stick with them until they felt unwanted and forced to move on. The only way that GM would ever possibly get back in good standing with it's irate customers is if they learned how to treat them and offer real incentives when they encounter issues.

UPDATE 5/18/2016 - This car was the biggest mistake I've ever made in terms of a large purchase. After 2 years of constant circles with GM and them continuing to own up to their short comings they finally made me an offer to turn in or replace. They offered $6,500!!!!!! and they said this was "generous" since it was used and had lots of issues. Keep in mind - these are issues they denied until this point and refused to assist. I hit my breaking point and decided to go to another local dealer of a brand I swore I would NEVER drive because I'm a "GM person from a GM family" but after I walked in the doors and they offered me OVER DOUBLE to turn it in and buy a car from them that has higher ratings and WAYYYY less expensive - not to mention for american made than GM and their false claims. I normally wouldn't even turn in a car because they offer so little but I didn't wish to look an individual in the face and sell them this hunk of crap. I knew this dealer would go through and replace the things that GM refused to do over the years. In closing - I will NEVER own another GM car and my whole family that is brand loyal and over 10 family members who retired from GM have said they will never own GM, as well. Another case of GM not understanding it's customer base and selling an inferior product for a premium then not backing their garbage models and wiggling out of everything to not help. I am now paying off a new car instead of riding out my Equinox until the wheels fell off because, sadly, the wheels will fall off an equinox before it hits 50,000 miles.

PLEASE - IF YOU'RE READING THIS - SAVE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY AND DON'T BUY AN EQUINOX. ON SECOND THOUGHT, DON'T BUY GM AT ALL BECAUSE THEY WON'T HELP YOU WITH THEIR PRODUCT EVEN IF IT'S CLEARLY A LEMON OR PROBLEM-RIDDEN IN WARRANTY PERIOD.

February 2011 – 7,099 miles - Complaint of jerkiness while shifting. Weird shifting.
Action taken – Seat belt recall, nothing done concerning our complaint except charge us for an oil change.

November 2011 – 17,683 miles - Further shifting issues and chugs while driving. Loud ratting and grinding from under hood by engine. Knocking in back. Slow to take off from a stop. Has stalled 2 times driving.
Action taken – Reprogrammed engine control module. Said they couldn’t duplicate the rest.

April 2012 – 22,365 miles - Stalled more times. Knocking in engine and rattling. Still shifts incorrectly. Sputters and stalls while driving. Transmission leak.