Used 2011 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews - 149 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Chevrolet Equinox

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Overall view.
By Robert Poole

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I read all reviews. The sluggish start problems I corrected with a computer module reprogram. As for A/C compressor problem my vehicles is noisy also. I will install an aftermarket model compressor. Other than that I have no complaints. I drive all GM products and recognize some short comings. My vehicle has 45000 mi. and uses no oil between 8000 mi changes. Mileage is 25 on average city/hwy mix, I run 70 on interstate. I am a mechanic aircraft and car. I can overcome small problems. Thats my perspective.

LOVE IT!
By Brittany

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought my Equinox used from my local dealer. I went from a 2013 Malibu, to the 2011 equinox and I couldn't be more pleased. This car is perfect for me especially since I have a child in a car seat. Easily fits 3 car seats on the back seat. NO problems at all. First owner took very great care of the care and kept maintenance up as well. It does get expected gas mileage 30+ hwy and roughly 23+ city. Not to mention the DVD system works flawlessly and my baby loves it! I've seen the bad reviews on these cars so I guess every car is different bc so far I haven't had a problem out of mine!

Run as far away from these vehicles as you can!
By Carlos

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We purchased our vehicle, 2011 LTZ 4 cylinder with navigation and rear dvd player, brand new. Now 4 years later it is on its 3rd transmission and has been at the dealership more times than I can count. The navigation unit would reset to Washington DC as a starting point whenever we tried to located an address and the clock hardly ever worked. The dealer tried doing a software reset and ended up replacing the unit when it was 1 year old. When it happened the 2nd time they said the unit was out of warranty so we had to deal with it. The fuel efficiency is a joke. GM stated this vehicle at 32 mpg and we average 21 on mixed city driving. Our warranty is almost up and we're already looking to trade this in.

Never again
By Tonya Singletary

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Where do I begin...... 2011 Equinox brought brand new. I'm a commuter so I must keep up maintenance, get oil changes regularly (not from the dealer). Transmission goes out at 60,000 which took a month to repair. now 70,000 major oil leak which of course cause engine issues. Have bumper to bumper warranty BUT GMC doesn't want to pay, claims issue occurred to not changing oil. Had to produce receipts of proof that I've had oil changes.
Once all is said and done trading it in and never going back to Chevrolet.

A Very Questionable Investment
By erthfriend

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I was surprised seeing that this car rated 4 out of 5 stars. The gas mileage was supposed to be 32, but we never got better than 23 mpg. Even allowing for the AWD, we expected upper 20s. There was always a rattling coming from the engine that sounded like pins and needles shaking in a tin can. At 60K, I took it in for an oil change and the dealer could find no oil on the stick at all. No oil pressure guage. No warning light. At 80K, the oil use was only worsening. The dealer said it warranted a ring job. Since the warranty was expiring at 100K, we traded it in on a Prius V, taking a $6K hit. The GM people are some of the best. Too bad this is a crappy car.

The cabin and the ride are the best parts of the Equinox experience. You can see videos on You Tube showing the interior. It's almost like a space ship. Ours had a sunroof that we almost never used, and bluetooth that we used all the time. The interior is very similar to the Chevy Cruze, on a much larger scale.

I think it all comes down to two words: Quality Control. Whether the fault lies in the engineering(I am guessing it does since our complaints seem fairly well represented in these comments), or the manufacture, someone needs to control quality at GM. A pretty car with a comfortable ride should be a bonus, not a saving grace.