Used 2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

This SUV is full of trouble, potentially deadly
By Wasim Quddus

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We got brand new chevy euinox in 2011. I had to take it to dealer twice with engine trouble. My wife drives it -very mildly. It has very low millage. She had it stall in the middle of the road two times. It would just loose power suddenly. She would start it and it would run a little before stalling again. Finally it would not even start. The enigne light would come on. This happened twice. Thankfully she was not in highway when this happened. She also had kids with her. Imagine if this happened in high way at high speed. By God's grace, she and the kids have been spared from horrific accident due to this failure.
The car dealership was another unfriendly experience. I took it to the same dealer who I bought the car from. They are so nonchalant about the whole event, as if it is the most expected thing on earth to happen. They were very late diagnosing the problem, leaving us without a car when my wife needed the car for going to work (dont know if that is a bad thing or not, given the nature of its serious trouble).
All in all, it has been a very bad experience. I will not look forward to buying another chevy any time soon.

GREAT CAR
By Robert Knasinski

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

DRIVE IT

Seeking new car ... definitely not another Equinox
By Dee

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Nothing but repair issues from about 50,000 miles forward. Thank god I had purchased an extended warranty. Had a/c compressor and condensers replaced multiple times. Oil burning issues resulted in complete overhaul of engine. Now having catalytic converter issues .. presumably due to the oil that had been burning for 5,000 miles while engine consumption tests were being run. I would be broke if it weren't for the extended warranty. Trying to limp to the end of my extended warranty but the engine light is back on again. On a first-name basis with everyone in service at the dealer. On the bright side, the interior was comfortable on all those trips to the dealer. I've hauled a lot in the past 4 years and the interior has withstood. Mileage has always been disappointing. Unless I was coasting on a downhill, I never approached anywhere near 30 mpg. Acceleration sluggish. Huge blindspot due to pillars and side mirrors. Intermittent remote issues.

Do yourself a favor and RUN away from this car!
By Amy

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased the car used, a little over 100K miles on the car when we purchased. A few hours after we left the dealership, the car began idling rough when stopped, hesitated when you try to accelerate, and an engine light came on (P0420). The car began rough idling anytime it wasn't in motion > 10mph. The engine shakes very hard. The car continues to run 3-6 seconds after you remove the key. When you accelerate from a stop or when coasting the car jerks forward like you stomped on the gas pedal. Sometimes when you try to accelerate the car just kinda sits there for a few seconds before it decides to move. It sounds like a big diesel truck when you crank the car - so embarrassing. These issues continued to happen the entire time we were taking it to the dealership, and still happen today. The car also only get about 22 mpg highway / city combined.
We took the car back to the dealership not even a week after purchasing - they replaced spark plugs and sent us on our way. The engine light returned again (P0420 and P0303). Took the car back and the dealership replaced the 3rd coil pack. Engine light returned again - dealership said it was some kind of seal and it was "fixed". Engine light returned again - dealership "couldn't duplicate" the issue and insinuated that it was fine. Kept insisting that the car does not have any issues when they have it and they have tried sitting, slow driving, etc. I recorded the issues on my cell phone and text them to the dealership. Suddenly their story changed to "clearly there is something wrong with the car and we need to get it fixed asap." No kidding... We opened a case with GM customer care (don't even waste your time there). GM told us to take it to a certified dealership and have diagnostics run ($100). They told us if it was a manufacturer defect they would cover the cost of repairs and reimburse the $100 diagnostic fee. It turned out to be a known issue - also a manufacturer defect but suddenly GM decided they couldn't cover the cost of repair because the car had over 100K miles. They knew this BEFORE asking us to take it to the dealership to begin with. They told us the fix was to have the catalytic converter and O2 sensor replaced ($1500).
We took the car back to the dealership we purchased it from, and they sent it to another repair shop because they couldn't fix the issues themselves. Not even a week after the catalytic converter and O2 sensor were replaced the issues returned. I've given up hope and I've had it with this car. We tried to trade it in, but nobody will give us anywhere near what we paid for it because it runs like crap and sounds awful. Just praying the car doesn't die before we can pay down the balance enough to be able to trade the car without losing thousands on it.
Seriously, do yourself a favor and stay away from GM cars. Worst car buying experience ever. My 13 year old Honda with almost 200K miles ran better than this 4 year old car. Seriously regret spending money on this POS.

Overall view.
By Robert Poole

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I read all reviews. The sluggish start problems I corrected with a computer module reprogram. As for A/C compressor problem my vehicles is noisy also. I will install an aftermarket model compressor. Other than that I have no complaints. I drive all GM products and recognize some short comings. My vehicle has 45000 mi. and uses no oil between 8000 mi changes. Mileage is 25 on average city/hwy mix, I run 70 on interstate. I am a mechanic aircraft and car. I can overcome small problems. Thats my perspective.