Used 2011 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews - 149 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Chevrolet Equinox

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

7 payments down & 8 trips to the dealer for repair
By grace_d_jr

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Love the car for every day use due to the value and style of the equinox.

However, we have had several issues with our chevy. Started with a check engine light with less then 2K on the clock, (3K) loud noises upon start up, (9K) steering wheel felt like it would "lock up" while driving, rough idel, interior parts and molding not fitting/working. Chevy refused to extend warranty nor would they assist with a trade in towards a new Equinox...it says a lot about a product when the mfg will not stand behind it and give an additional 3 yr warranty.

As far as the MPG goes...it has been pretty close to the 22MPG listed in town driving.

Looks great. Lots of leg room in front and back seats. plenty of cargo space for a family of 3.

Stand behind your product and offer a longer warranty!

Why Chevy Still Doesn't Get It
By dhoff457

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought a 2011 Equinox and loved it - until yesterday.

Five months old and the car simply died - while driving on the highway at 60 mph. Not what you'd expect from a new car - stuff happens but what happened next clarifies why with all the gains they've made, Chevy has a LONG way to go when it comes to understanding and serving their customer.

When we the car died, we were able to pull over and call OnStar. They remotely diagnosed the issue (power train and transmission problems). But at this point they told us we needed to call ahead to the dealer to let them know we were getting towed there and they would not forward their diagnosis info to the dealer ("they'll run their own").

To follow up my review - when a five month old car dies, I feel CHEVY should be helping to mitigate our experience in any way they reasonably can; they should have called the dealer and informed them of the issues they had initially diagnosed. Then we found out we couldn't get a loaner car for at least 24 hours until the dealer diagnoses the problem! My friend who owns a used Mercedes gets a free loaner when he brings the car for something as simple as an oil change! He's in the market for a new car - I'd been pushing him to consider a Chevy; after hearing our experience, he's now crossed it off his list.

Love it - LOVE IT - but wait, the check engine light just came on...
By t4r4me

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

At 7800 miles I was driving to pick up a Pizza tonight thinking I should write a review on how much I love this Equinox.
But on the ride home the check engine light came on and it stalled!

I really do love this SUV.
The styling and materials are top notch for the price.
I love the handling and it is clear there are European underpinnings being used.
It is very surefooted.
I like the transmission and it makes good use of the 4 cylinder.

Seats, interior styling, transmission, bakes, leather wrapped steering wheel, wheels.

Weird sticking on steering at high speeds. You know when you make minute adjustments on the highway? Well sometimes the wheel feels like it sticks. Other than that I love this car - but then again - ask me after the dealer checks out the check engine light...

poor mileage and runs poorly
By robgrv

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The car ran great when new, now has 4500 miles on it and it starts to shake/missing when it lugs down in gear. Dealer said nothing was wrong so taking it to another dealer. This morning it made a grinding noise when I started it.
Junk

Put the Honda motor in it that the Saturn Vue had in it.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR
By tbarnes1

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I am the type of person that usually reads reviews and discards the few out there that may be negative.
I plead with you to not disregard this review. I purchased a NEW 2011 chevy equinox back in March and have nothing but problems with it since I drove it off the lot.
Have intermitent stalling, engine hesitation when accelerating, and rattle at startup.
I've taken it back to the dealer 3 times to resolve the issue (every time leaving with them saying it's fixed).
Just had it stall YET AGAIN.
I've submitted paperwork for Lemon Law b/c I WANT MY MONEY BACK.
Do NOT buy this car if you are looking for a reliable vehicle.
Now I have to fight to keep my family safe & get my money back!

Don't put a car out in market that is unreliable and has KNOWN issues prior to hitting the lot. How many times can the Camshaft Actuators be replaced. This CAR IS TERRIBLE!