Used 2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Equinox is a great value
By anachrophile

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the last 2008 Equinox on the lot with side airbags (standard in 2009). No trade-in, but still paid only $19500 (>$28000 list--it is optioned almost to LTZ, but no leather or the "sophisticated" 3.6L motor). We've now had it 10 months and put on 10K mixed highway-city miles. Mileage: 17 in town & 25 on the road (you can do 1- 2 mpg better if careful). Absolutely NOTHING has gone wrong with this car and I cannot find even one manufacturing defect. Take that, Toyota and Honda! It is safe, comfortable, and quiet. Seats are a bit flat, especially the very spacious rear seats. But for $19K? Good deal!

OnStar, remote start, sunroof, smooth, quiet, efficient power train (especially for a pushrod motor--GM has really smoothed this old technology, and no timing chain to replace!). Loosely, it's a US product (motor from China, assembled in Canada).

Fold-flat rear seats would have been nice. Would have given up total cargo volume to be able to sleep on a flat floor when camping. Minivans better in this regard. I miss the dent-free plastic panels of older Saturn & Olds products. The sheet metal on this vehicle dents easily.

Weatherstripping Failure
By glaasmar

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

We have had zero problems with this vehicle... until now. Wife noticed wet carpets, so I checked and ended up sucking over 8gal of water from spare well and back seat. Still soaked, and will need 3 days at dealer to remedy. As it is out of the base 36m/36k miles (42k) the dealer has us on the hook for almost $600 in repairs for the weatherstripping issue. That this is not being considered a recall for a design flaw (and a health hazard for mold, etc.) is ludicrous. We still love the vehicle, but this has (pardon the pun) put a damper on the enjoyment.

Acknowledge a design flaw. If this had gone unnoticed, it would have resulted in health problems for my grandchildren.

Water Water Everywhere
By familydad

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car after left my previous job since it was my company car. 5000 miles later, I also had the 1st cylinder misfire which was a costly repair. This car has a design and/or engineering flaw because everytime it rains, the spare tire compartment fills with water. Once it gets too full or you have to brake hard, the water sloshed forward and continues to soak the back and front seat floors. I contacted Chevy and they are not initiating a recall for this known problem. Chevy is not reimbursing to get this leak fixed because they have no idea where all the water is coming from... It is very frustrating to have to empy the rear storage to use a vacuum everytime it rains...

Interior space. Ideal for family on the go.

Start the recall process for a known problem and admit there is a design flaw. By doing so would show your costumer and consumer base you are trying to take a responsible action. Until, this is corrected by Chevy, I will not consider line of cars in the future.

Don't buy if you drive in snow
By Cnwave

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I have disliked this car since I had to drive it in snow the first week I owned. I thought it would be o.k. to buy a FWD instead of an AWD. I was wrong and so was my salesman. He didn't think I would have a problem. Obviously he didn't know what he was talking about. I won't buy another car from Superior Chevrolet. After making attempts to get some kind of resolution I was unsuccessful.

3500 lb towing, although I have only towed 1000 lb with it.

Don't offer the FWD in any environment where snow is expected.

Leaky
By madmae200

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

The car drives great and is pretty reliable. It rains in puddles on the back floor board and back where tire is stored. Nothing else in the car gets wet. I vacuumed a 1/2 gallon of water. The dealership has no idea where the water is coming from. Seats, headliners and inside interior are all dry.

Comfortable.

Find the darn leak. I'll have a molded vehicle pretty soon. Yuck!!