Used 2008 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Equinox

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Amazing truck!
By bdude273

2008 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

May be one of the greatest trucks ever built. The exterior is amazingly solid, with very strong metal. I feel very safe when driving around in it. The front seats are nice and supportive, although the back seats are a tad hard, but a 5 hour road trip would still be easy to get through. VERY powerful engine, although still more fuel efficient than my 2001 Dodge Caravan with the 3.3l V6. I am getting 13 litres/100KM CITY! 5L HIGHWAY! I have factory chrome which covers the door handles, grille, exhaust tip, and the trunk. I am 5'11, and
when in the back, I have well over 5 inches of leg room, and that is with the passenger seat in my position, and with the rear seats pulled all the way back.

The looks! When Chevrolet was designing this car, it seems as if all the designers had light bulbs over their heads, and kept adding excellent features! In most cars nowadays, the dashboard is 100% hard plastic....But not in the Equinox!!! The airbag cover is soft rubber. Feels like it will go for 300,000 KM's.

I have 1 improvement for Chevrolet. 1! You CANNOT have the cup holders out while the handbrake is engaged. Which idiot designed THAT?

Money Pit!!!!
By hummers

2008 Chevrolet Equinox Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this vehicle used with 60,000 miles almost 2 years ago. Since it was used, we went ahead and got the extended warranty from the dealership. we had to replace the plugs for the car chargers, we had to replace the heated seat sensors twice w/in 2 weeks, the ignition cylinder had to be replaced so that the car would stop cutting in and out.
Then just after the warranty expired, we were told the routers needed to be replaced, but in order to do so the entire brake system had to be done.
We've had a slight power steering leak, and today while driving down a country road the transmission went out!! Ahhh, stay away from this money pit. Not worth the problems and money

sporty looks, leather seats, sun roof

the entire electrical and mechanical system!!!

Looked Great but total PIA
By kwhit1

2008 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

The Equinox drives good for the most part but has tons of issues. My biggest issue is the tire sensors are always going off. Had the sensor issue replaced 3 times under warranty in only a year. Warranty ran out and sensor now doesn't read pressure right. Also have a big issue with when you replace the brakes you have to replace the whole thing. It would be fine if it was rare but you have to do this every 40k miles approximately. At 70k you than get to replace the belts too. The headlights are impossible to replace on your own you have to find a dealer or a good mechanic to figure it out. Good thing my brake lights never went out because they look more difficult.. Wasn't worth the money!

Roomy, Decent Gas MPG for the size (23mpg), the "purse" spot between the seats, many cup holders

The Sensors, Brakes, placement of DC spots (make it difficult to charge phone and mp3 players)

Too many problems for the price!
By samanthardh

2008 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my car new in January 2008, and have had NUMEROUS problems. The motor to the rear windshield wipers went out just after the full warranty ran out (about 38000 miles). The check engine light has been on from about 50000 miles, with no explanation and no way to correct it. The alternator went out after about 60000 miles. GM paid for that, after some complaining. The battery has died several times, after having radio on for about 15 minutes with key on accessory. Still owe too much on it to do anything about it. Don't feel right selling it to someone else and passing off my problems to them. Wouldn't be worth what's owed on it anyway! Very discouraged! Should have stayed with Ford!

Transmission problem
By wrdallas

2008 Chevrolet Equinox Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my '08 Equinox Sport new from a Dealer. I loved it from the start. However, the small narrow space between the console and the seats is impossible to retrieve anything dropped down there. I keep a 2 ft. "grabbit" just for that reason behind my seat. Too narrow for a hand and the seat track is too close to the console wall to get in there. Now, my tranny blew and is being called an "Internal proble" something to do with the valve body. The trans has to be replaced at a cost of $3900! Ouch! Anybody else have the transmission problem?

I love most everything about the car/truck with the above exceptions.

Close the gap between the seat and the console or at lease make it more accessible.