2017 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:

HORRIBLE. ENGINE PROBLEMS AT 28000 MILES!
By Brittany

2017 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my 2017 Chevy Cruze brand new in July 2017 from the dealership and I loved it. It had about 2000 miles on it at purchase. I thought it was so sleek and the tech in the car was good (minus the manual seat adjustments). Car always drove good. I never paid more than $25 for gas to fill up my tank. Each tank lasted me about a week and I drove a lot from home to work to school and back again. Then all the sudden one night when I was leaving the bookstore when I started my car the check engine light was one. I thought okay I'll go have it checked then when I tried to back out of my parking space the power steering locked up. I turned off the car and back on and it started up fine. I made it to my next stop and again when I went to go leave I had problems. This time when I turned on the car nothing happened. The engine wouldn't turn on, no click/crank, nothing! The A/C, radio and lights would come on but my engine wouldn't. I sat for 10 minutes trying to turn the car on before it finally cranked and I was able to make it home. I scheduled it to have it serviced the next day. Turned the car on no problem that morning and drove to the dealership and explained what happened. They had my car for about 6 hours and returned it saying they could not duplicate the problem but they tightened the grounds and replaced a fuel ring that was on recall. I took my car back and it was fine for about 2 days before the problem started again. I would start the car in the morning and it took a few tries to get it to work. When trying to leave school late at night I would have to sit for 5-15 minutes before it would start. I planned on calling the dealership as soon as they opened the next day to tell them. Before I got the chance, the car completely gave up on me. When I started the car the next morning to go to work and call the dealership, it would not start at all. Again all the lights, a/c, and radio worked but not the engine. Sat out front for 30 minutes and nothing. Called the dealership and made them send a truck to tow it back and give me a loaner (they gave me a 2018 Chevy Cruze as a loaner and I'm waiting for it to screw up as well). Turns out my braking system as failed as well as the engine/transmission and electrical issues. I haven't even hit 30,000 miles on the car and only had it for a little over a year. I'm infuriated that the car does not last. It's not worth your money or the hassle. After reading other reviews on the car, many people have experienced the same problem as me starting as soon as they left the lot, 10,000 miles and up to 20,000 miles like mine. AVOID THIS CAR AT ALL COST. You'll love it in the beginning but it won't last long before the car completely goes out on you. Don't take the chance and buy something better.

Hot ,stylish car
By James Hunter

2017 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The car looks in my opinion great. It's sporty and classy looking. It has great pickup if I hit the gas it flies. It has the goodies inside and for me it's very comfortable. The ride is smooth and I get a lot of compliments on the looks. I've had several people stop me and ask if I like it. So far ,so good.

Sure it's inexpensive, but there's a reason.
By Darin

2017 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Premier 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Where to begin? The very day I bought the car it refused to start. I was leaving the dealership when I noticed there was no temporary permit in the back window. As I got out of the car, one set of keys was in the vehicle. The car honked at me, which is normal, to warn me the keys were still in it. When I got back in, the car refused to start. I saw a message stating there was no key fob detected. So, back in the dealership I went. My salesperson told me this happens but the fix is simple. He placed the key fob in some pocket and started the car. Off I went thinking that was just a one and done glitch. This was only the beginning. A few weeks later I was at the grocery store where I parked and walked in. After about 20 minutes I came back out and started the car. My phone refused to connect to the bluetooth. I power cycled the audio system and that didn't fix it. I re-paired the phone with the car and that worked. This was the first of MANY times I had to reconnect my phone to the car. One night while driving there was a message on the screen stating my brakes were failing. When I applied the brakes the car would shudder but still stop. I got out at my destination and when I came back, the error was gone and the issue seemed to resolve itself. So far there have been five unscheduled trips to the Chevy dealership where I was told there was nothing wrong with car even after showing them video of the issue occurring and one time while actually at the dealership with a technician in the car. One time I shut the car off and the stereo kept playing like it's supposed to do. Once you open the door it's supposed to shut off. It didn't. Kept playing. I got out, shut the doors and it still kept playing. I was even able to place a phone call (to the Chevy service department) from outside my car even though that should not have happened. I was told nothing was wrong and that was normal operation. Fed up, I told my service advisor to keep the car until all of the issues have been resolved. The end result? They replaced the human/machine interface which seemed to have resolved my audio system issues. They also replaced the module that controls the key fob problem I was having. It seems there have been multiple issues reported and they finally found and fixed the issue. Imagine that. The start/stop will drive you mad. The only way to bypass that "feature" is to place the transmission into "Manual Mode", or "L" on the gear selector, hit the "+" symbol until you reach, "6" on the display and drive it normally. It effectively places the transmission into dumb mode and the stop/start won't activate. So, to recap: Failure to start due to key fob undetected: Five times. Failure to connect to my phone: Stopped counting after 37 times. Brake anomaly: One time. Finally, if you're considering this car: Don't do it. Sure, it's great on gas but that's about all it's great on. When the lease is up, my nightmare will end.

Crash Review
By Eileen Gardner

2017 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan L 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Yesterday my daughter was in a horrifying car crash on I95 in SC when she was in a multi vehicle car accident. If you could see the pictures you’d wonder how ALL 3 in the car escaped without a scrape! The trooper, paramedic and doctor on scene stated they shouldn’t have walked away BUT THEY DID!! The air bags in this vehicle were beyond anything you’d ever expect! The car is a total loss but my children and granddaughter are ALIVE because this car saved their lives!!! I will buy another for SURE!!

The hidden gem of the automotive industry
By Richard T

2017 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I rented this car for two days and it was amazing! At 50mpg the cruise control indicated 60mpg and at 70mph it was 42mpg. The claimed 47mpg highway entirely believable if a bit conservative. The range with a full tank (13 gallons) was an indicated 538 miles. These are incredible numbers for a vehicle that is not a diesel and is of this size. The seats were very comfortable. I drove non-stop from Fort Lauderdale to Jacksonville without a single ache or pain. The cabin was very quiet. I carried on several conversations while on the move and not once did exterior noise interfere. Which gets me to the Bluetooth connectivity. The pairing to my LG Aristo was effortless and connections to it once I started the car were instant. The backup camera was clear with the display being large enough to be effective. The steering assist lines on the display curve as you turn the steering wheel and while I never really got accustomed to them enough to trust what they were telling me, they seemed to be accurate enough. The stereo had easy-to-use controls and had very good sound. The 1.4L turbocharged engine was smooth, quiet and eager to please. Flooring the pedal brought decent acceleration that surprised me every time I did it. The 6 speed automatic shifted crisply and smoothly and never hunted for gears. The brakes were firm, linear, and positive. I love them if only because they are discs front and rear, a feature thankfully becoming the norm, even on small, economy cars. What didn't I like? To be fair, the following will be mere quibbles and nothing in the list would prevent me from buying one or renting one again. My biggest problem with this car was the parking brake. Located as a pedal on the floor, that was at first a nice touch. I like pedal-operated parking brakes because they keep my hands free to grab my belongings in a hurry. But this one was a bit unpleasant. It was mounted fairly high, had very little travel and was stiff. My wife has a 2011 Camry and by comparison that pedal,-operated parking brake is effortless. It was also difficult to tell if it was disengaged fully, forcing me to check the dashboard to see if the indicator light was extinguished. I suspect most owners will opt to not use it and just use the transmission to keep the car from rolling away (a practice I do not subscribe to). The next item on my list is the stop-start feature. This was a welcome feature in and of itself. The engine shut down and restarted so quickly and smoothly that it took several miles before I realized that it was happening! The tachometer does display when it is active by dipping below zero to an area labelled as "AUTO STOP". The moment the car comes to a stop the engine shuts down. Release the foot brake and the engine comes to life before your foot gets back on the gas and off you go. Nice. But my problem is that if you take your foot off the brake to creep forward a bit, the feature is disabled entirely and the engine restarts and remains on. Putting the car in Park also causes the engine to restart. If the air con was of and it is turned on, the engine restarts. The engine doesn't remain off for long and restarts (even with your foot still on the brake) after a few minutes. This is understandable because the battery is being depleted with the accessories still running. The windows are all one-shot on the downward travel, but must be held in the up direction. My wife's Camry has one-shot on all windows in both directions. I am yet to understand why other manufacturers don't see this as viable. Who wants to sit there holding window buttons when there are things in the world to be done?!? That manumatic shift feature. I had to Google it to figure out how it worked. And as far as I am concerned it should be deleted entirely. A total waste of engineering, if you ask me. You have to move the shifter down into L range and then press the "+" or "-" button on top of the selector to get higher or lower gears, respectively. It would be better to have a gate to the left or right of the selector and allow the shifter itself to be toggled...preferably like Mazda correctly has it: pull back for upshifts, push forward for downshifts. The steering was nicely weighted and felt direct, but was a little too sensitive at centre. That made keeping straight in a lane, particularly with crosswinds, a bit tricky. The stereo. Why are the volume up and down controls hidden on the underside of the right hand spoke of the steering wheel?!? And there are two other buttons under the left spoke that I am yet to figure out. What I hate: The reverse lights come on when you exit the car...a stupid and dangerous feature that all GM cars unfortunately currently feature. It gives the impression that the car is backing up and cause a panic situation which may lead to an accident. STOP THIS FOOLISHNESS, GM! Otherwise, this is an amazing little car that deserves consideration.