Used 2014 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:

3 year owner 2LT RS
By Rick

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan 2LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car in 2015. It had been a rental. It had about 18k miles when I bought it. The first couple of months I had a couple small items fixed under warranty. One other small repair just recently about $150. Other than that, it has been a very trustworthy car with good fuel economy. I'm not completely in love with this car but it is an acceptable ride and I plan to keep it a while since it will be paid off in a couple years. Hopefully I won't have some of the issues I've ready about.

Run from this car
By K. Evans

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I’ve owned a 2014 Chevy Cruze for 4 years. The first 2 years were great but it is all downhill from there. My sister purchased her Chevy Cruze just 2 months before me and it’s almost like the car is wired to have issues on a timeline. Every issue she has had (which are many), I have experience almost exactly 2 months later. This car has been nothing but a source of stress and a place to throw away money for the last 2 years. In recent months, it seems the check engine light is on more often than not. One might assume it is the same issue which does not get fixed but that person would be wrong. Each check engine code is for a different, unrelated issue. At this point, I am struggling to simply get the check engine light off long enough to trade it in. This is not a car built to last more than a couple of years - seriously, you won’t even get it paid off before you get tired of throwing your money into it. On top of that, any issue under warranty, requiring the dealership to fix it, has been even more of a headache. Every Chevy dealer I’ve been to with a warranty issue has given me the run around, holding my car hostage for weeks while they “wait for parts.” Well, makes sense they don’t have the parts when every 2014 Cruze has the same issue at the same time. But on top of the long waits for warranty issues to he resolved, Chevy service departments have been rude or non-communicative at best. Do not buy a Chevy Cruze. I would recommend staying away from Chevy all together but I do not have first hand experience with any other model so maybe that isn’t fair. Either way, do not buy this car. Do not buy this car. Do not buy this car. I cannot say it enough. You will regret buying this car.

Never again!
By cruzeownernomore

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Everyone we talked to before we bought the Cruze, loved their Cruze. Once we started to complain about issues we were having, we realized that everyone else had had weird, quirky things with their Cruze's as well. We bought the car at 17k miles. Almost immediately we had issues with the electronics, the compatibility with our phones, back up camera getting stuck...mainly minor nuisances. Soon after we started having the check engine light come on frequently. I would say in the two years we had it the check engine light would come on every six months. Thank goodness the dealership we dealt with had a great service department! Usually everything was covered under warranty. There were so many issues....they ended up warranting an entire new engine at 37k miles. We had cadalidic converter issues, cylinder head issues, skipping issues, gasket issues....you name it! Like I said, the check engine light would come on about every six months with a new issue. The last straw was when, without warning, I came out after only 15 minutes shut off to a dead battery. We replaced the battery and it has been fine, however, I'm not trusting that it's not a recharging issue. So we are getting ride of this POS while it is still under warranty and the getting is good. NEVER would i recommend this car to anyone!

At first I loved it, until the problems started
By PamR

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I got this car brand new in January 2014 and I still have it now but am getting rid of it. It only has 24,000 miles on it and it's January of 2018. I loved this car in the beginning it was zippy and fun to drive. First my car warned me about having a cracked axle. Took it to dealer and they fixed the recall. The batter was very weak and car had no power so I checked the battery and it was way too small for car. One day on a rainy day my window wouldn't roll up, but they fixed it. Then my car was burning gas at about 4 times the normal rate. I mean really fast then while driving my car completely stopped cars were coming at me and I was scared not knowing what was going on. It was weird it had gas, it didn't start, the battery was fine, seemed like nothing, had it towed home, then to Chevy the next day and they said "contaminated gas" well according to my fuel burning and I park in the garage it was not contaminated it was a faulty fuel pump. They replaced it but was going to charge me over 1000.00 since I was 2 weeks past my 3 year warranty. Made some calls and luckily they did it for free. One day I noticed I had a huge bubble on the side wall of my tire so I took the car in to get a new tire and he told me the 2 front tires look super old and had been sitting in the sun for a very long time. He showed me the whole side wall was cracked all the way around the outside of the tire and said he was surprised they lasted this long. So I replaced them the back two were good. Then I got a letter saying the steering might lock up while driving and I will lose control, thank God it didn't happen. All in all I loved this car but all these breakdowns make me feel very unsafe in it. It's too much hassle a new car should come new and working. I won't buy this again

Good car overall
By Bills

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I got this car in November 2016 with 56k on it. Fast forward to December 2017, it now has 79k on it. I’ve spent a lot of time with this car. Overall I do like the car but their are some things I don’t like. The drivers seat has a power slide feature but No power recline. I thought that was odd considering it’s an LTZ model (they have rectified this for the newer models). The fake leather doesn’t wear well. The drivers seat has some noticeable wear on it and it’s starting to develop small cracks but nothing major thankfully. I just have to be careful getting in and out of the seat. My bosses 2012 VW Jetta has 90k miles on it and the Fake leather in his car looks flawless still. Their are some cheap bits in the interior but it’s not too bad. Really the one thing that bothers me is the gearshift. It looks and feels cheap to me but I’m probably just too nitpicky. I really like the way the interior is laid out though. Everything is where you would expect it to be (Except for the power lock controls since this is a 2014 Cruze. They are in the center but were moved to the door in 2015) I like how the radio has actual volume and tuning knobs because a lot of cars are going away with that. I’m surprised that it doesn’t have dual zone climate control since this is the top of the line LTZ model. Even to this day, you can’t get this on any Cruze. Other cars in the class have this so it would be nice if the Cruze had it also. Mylink is pretty easy to use and straight to the point and once you pair your phone through Bluetooth, it’ll automatically connect in the future once you get in and get the car going. The back up camera is nice too but since it’s a 2014, it doesn’t have the trajectory lines on the screen. That issue was resolved in the 2015 models. It doesn’t bother me really. I’m used to it now. The backseat legroom isn’t as good as its competitors. It’s tolerable if the front seats aren’t pushed all the way back but if they are, legroom is nonexistent. The car actually drives really smooth. A lot smoother than I expected. It surprised me honestly. When you try to take off from a stop in the car, it’s almost like their is a delay by 2 to 3 seconds which means making left turns can be a challenge sometimes. My grandparents have a 2015 2lt with the same engine and theirs drives like this too. Once the car gets into the higher rpms, the speed is adequate. As far as reliability goes, it’s been pretty reliable for the most part. The only thing I’ve had to have done/replaced was an ignition coil and a battery both at the same time around 72k. I have a 5 year 100k powertrain Waranty and I thought it would have replaced the ignition coil for free at least but it didn’t. Replacing both of these items at the dealership was $527 with parts and labor. Oh well. Other than that, it’s been pretty reliable. No complaints there. And since it’s an LTZ, it has smart key access which is pretty useful. I don’t have to take the key out of my pocket for anything even when going to the trunk which it great. When I get out of the car and close the door, 8 seconds later, the car locks automatically. Overall, I give this car a 4 out of 5 stars because it meets my expectations for the most part. All of the gripes mentioned above about this car, I remind myself that no car is perfect and the end of the day, it’s still an Economy car and their is no escaping that which is completely understandable and I’m okay with it. Would I recommend this car to anybody? Yes. However I will say that if you are looking for a car with a lot of room, you might want to look elsewhere.