Used 2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used Cruze for Sale
Select your model:
12345...30

Pros
Cons

Uber driver gives thumbs up

James Keen, 11/21/2015
LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

All though built for a 19 year old college girl, my 240 lb 5'10" frame rides well in it. I purchased the car in January of 2013. As of November 21, 2015 I have logged over 63,000 miles. This car is the 1.8 liter mated to the 6-speed manual tranny. I log every fuel up utilizing the gas tracker app available on iTunes. Average is 30.5 MPG and I am not the most conservative driver. Only mechanical issue I have encountered was a broken thermostat housing and thermostat. The issue was covered under warranty. Car rides well and handles very well. It is under powered but expected with only 138 horsepower. I recently began driving for Uber. I have received a ton of compliments on the car. The 6-speed manual tranny is a real conversation starter. This is the base model and does not have blue tooth or cruise control. The stereo is somewhat inadequate. It is difficult to hear stereo with the windows down and only having 6 pre-set stations really blows. The car is silver ice and the windows are tinted as dark as the law will allow. It looks brand new. Something very remarkable is that I still have the original tires. Firestone FR710. Over 63K miles and still a good ways away from the tread ware indicator. I would recommend this car to anyone.....Most notable downside is resale value Update 5/22/16 79,000. Finally put new tires on it at 70,000 miles. Car is still performing as expected with no issues. Update 5/23/17 mileage 97,000. No mechanical issues at all. This past year I've changed the oil and rotated the tires every 5k miles. No other maintenance performed. I have experienced a vibration during heavy braking so I'll have the brakes checked at my 100k oil change. 11/24/19 update 147,000 miles. PM’ed the timing belt at 100K The AC condenser went out at 140K. While at dealership they offered me $1,000 which was insulting. the car still operates as it did when new. I’m still averaging over 30mpg 6/1/2020 160,000. Car is holding up well. 32MPG on last fuel up. No issues. 12/1/2020 170,000 miles. Car is still holding up well. The shifter knob fell apart other than tgat it’s holding up well. Does not use a drop of oil. I change the oil every 5k mikes with semi synthetic. Interior and exterior are still in excellent shape. 30-32 mpg per tank still. 6/3/2021 179000 miles. Still running strong. Original motor, tranny, and even the stock clutch. Does not even have any leaks. Last fuel up was 33mpg.

50 mpg on the road!!

pharlap007, 04/07/2012
Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car! I have 9 cars, and some have a lot more features than this one, but here's the skinny. The ECO's milage is real. I'm averaging 42 combined, and I've gotten as much as 50 MPG on a 50 mile highyway trip. These numbers are not from the computer. I fill up, and do the division with the actual miles driven. I'm probably going to trust the oil life monitor, and if you don't use your 6 months free turn by turn, you're missing out on a lot of fun! I signed up for 300 minutes of phone time for my new cars phone number for $9.00, since it goes to $114.00 after the one year expiration!!! Take advantage of that. If you forget your cell...or if you are in a dead spot.

This car is a nightmare a couple years in

Steve, 12/18/2017
1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We ll not much to say but this car has problems, at 50,000 miles its all downhill from there. Camseals leaked, oil pan leaked, need new valve cover because the intake manifold has a check valve that goes bad which screws up the PVC system in this car. Transmission seal leaked at 77,000. Now at 97,000 miles and out of warranty for 3 months and need a new valve cover again, oil pan leaking again. Never in my life have I had a car that has had so many leaks and engine problems.

Just Cruzin'

just_a_chemist, 05/29/2012
1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great job in engineering. Have 6-speed auto and get 28 mpg commuting on side roads to work, got 38 mpg overall on 1400 mile treck from east coast to midwest, even 40 mpg on the flat interstates at 75 mph and the air conditioning blasting. Handles very well, turbo kicks hard at ~30-35 mph to 65 mph. Very good overall. Better mirrors than that of the Impala and better acceleration and fuel mileage than the Malibu.

Known transmission issues!

skavfive, 05/09/2012
LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Car rides well and looks nice, but the transmission has known issues--slow and delayed shifts, and in manual mode downshifts into first are very harsh at times. These issues were confirmed and documented by the dealership: “transmission downshifts hard in manual mode….confirmed that three like vehicle do the same harsh downshifting. Call GM TAN, case #…., GM is aware for the condition and trying to correct…called GM TAN …GM is working on a change to correct this condition.” Chevy was aware of the problem redid the software package on the LT model for 2012, but no change was implemented in time for the 2012 LS Cruze. No other automatic I have ever driven has performed as poorly.

12345...30