Used 2012 Chevrolet Cruze Consumer Reviews - 118 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Cruze

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:

recalls
By sabrina

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

first of all i loved the color and the car dynamics but the car had 3-4 recalls, a peace off the motor that hose runs to the radiator was broke and over heated 2 times. i was also told that the reason my fans keep running even in winter i needed a water inlay Almost $170, My back up sinners messed up with in the first year $200 to fix. the car had a small pop every time i would first take off in the car. After a long hour drive i would pull in to a gas station or my destination the car would just die. just before i traded it the car have of the time would not start on the first try. I paid a good penny for the car and i traded it in Oct. 2014 and couldn't even get $4000 for it I still owed #8500 for the car. This is such Crap It was a 2012 Chevy Cruze with fog lights

2012 Chevy Cruze Eco
By Dan Schnura

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The point of this vehicle is to get you from point a to b and get great gas milage. To start with the cruze has a very good price, you don't get much but what do you need, its a family sedan. I wanted the chrome rims (not sure if there real chrome, i think its plastic) and the metallic red paint. It does look good, it has some sporty lines and curves but can still be seen as a family sedan. The interior is good, nothing special, has a great bass if your into that. The aux cord is extremely easy to use and the radio cranks. The gas is great, I've never gotten 43 mpg but 38.5 mpg does me well. Then we move to the things that the cruze really isn't made for, performance. The ride quality is fine, it has nice front shocks and the rear is a multi-link independent rear suspension. The suspension seems like it would have a lot of easy aftermarket support if your into spicing your sedan up. But I have beat the crap out of the cruze, from driving and drifting on gravel roads at speeds around 80mph sometimes, jumped it in a parking lot once and drove on a pretty deep mud/gravel road. I live where the houses are spaced out and the roads are bumpy, curvy and hilly. I went for a fast drive down a road thats narrow and bumpy, a road rally type road, the road is fast and has sudden turns. But the engine heats up after heavy use fast. The radiator and fan were running for a while after this drive. The acceleration is great for a 1.4 liter turbo eco engine, but the engine needs some work, the turbo lag is horrendous, you floor it, wait a few seconds then the engine launches to a high rpm and its screaming. I find the shifter amazing and really useful, i use it for traffic and messing around, i feel as though thats a must for the car because the transmission sucks, only when your actually using the shifter correctly does the performance improve. Another thing is the brakes are amazing, for a few hours, (there useless as hell in heavy rain and snow), then the become trash. They obviously over heat and start to vibrate terribly, but all that is under heavy use. Overall, I've driven to florida without a problem, beat on some gravel and puddle roads with the kids, and use it to get to chicago on the weekdays. It does seem to wanna get to the 43 mpg easily but I haven't reached it. Its a great family car, first starter car and oddly a great platform for some type of racing or preformance vehicle, it has a lot of potential in that aspect.

Car needed a new clutch at 4 years and 40,000+
By Jane Silver

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I have driven standard shifts for over 40 years, several cars, etc. NEVER has the clutch had to be replaced. Ever!
Of course a new clutch is not under the warranty, so that is $2000 (yes $2000), and if not under warranty they won't provide you with a rental car. Thank goodness my dealer gave me a loaner. Also why is it taking 2 weeks to get a new clutch?
This is very scary to me and I have to warn other owners that this DID happen - and it should not have.
I have had good mileage - 30+ in town, 35+ highway.

Uber driver gives thumbs up
By James Keen

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

All though built for a 19 year old college girl, my 240 lb 5'10" frame rides well in it. I purchased the car in January of 2013. As of November 21, 2015 I have logged over 63,000 miles. This car is the 1.8 liter mated to the 6-speed manual tranny. I log every fuel up utilizing the gas tracker app available on iTunes. Average is 30.5 MPG and I am not the most conservative driver. Only mechanical issue I have encountered was a broken thermostat housing and thermostat. The issue was covered under warranty. Car rides well and handles very well. It is under powered but expected with only 138 horsepower. I recently began driving for Uber. I have received a ton of compliments on the car. The 6-speed manual tranny is a real conversation starter. This is the base model and does not have blue tooth or cruise control. The stereo is somewhat inadequate. It is difficult to hear stereo with the windows down and only having 6 pre-set stations really blows. The car is silver ice and the windows are tinted as dark as the law will allow. It looks brand new. Something very remarkable is that I still have the original tires. Firestone FR710. Over 63K miles and still a good ways away from the tread ware indicator. I would recommend this car to anyone.....Most notable downside is resale value

Update 5/22/16 79,000. Finally put new tires on it at 70,000 miles. Car is still performing as expected with no issues.

Update 5/23/17 mileage 97,000. No mechanical issues at all. This past year I've changed the oil and rotated the tires every 5k miles. No other maintenance performed. I have experienced a vibration during heavy braking so I'll have the brakes checked at my 100k oil change.

Typical cheap Americans car
By Melissa.ginesi@gmail.com

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

98000 miles almost entirely highway
Under warranty repairs: water pump, radiator, oil pan, stearing column and battery cables.
Great for the first three years like the other review, but the A LOT of major repairs after. GM did extend the power tran warranty but after warranty ends the car will go at first major repair. Not a reliable car after 3 years, would not recommend it unless you got a 100k warranty. For your money, you could buy a more reliable Toyota or Honda. GM continues to disappoint the Americans looking for an americn made reliable car.