Used 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Corvette

View reviews for a specific Corvette model:

If you always wanted one...this is it!
By James B

2002 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned my 2002 "C5" Corvette coupe for many, many years. Each time that I'm behind the wheel is the same - great! I have the "base" 350 HP model but it still feels like it gets from zero to sixty in just under five seconds. Always garaged, my car's light pewter color is still very good and it looks great with the dark tint of the side and rear windows. While the Z06/manual is the enthusiast's choice, the base LS1 with 4-speed AT is a superb daily driver that provides a ton of low-rev power. You always have what you need for the daily commuting challenge and it's a breeze on the highway. This model is now 15 years old and still gets 28-30 MPG on the highway (Summer time). I don't drive it during the Northern Winter, to avoid snow/ice and risk for frame rust. The interior is basic by today's standards but the leather wheel and seats hold up well, and look for the upgraded Bose entertainment system (which is still good by today's standards). Corvette seats have been the favorite joke of automotive writers but you need to decide for yourself. I've driven this car for 15 hours at a time with minimal stops, and have never had a sore back from the seats. I cannot say the same for a Porsche and its Recaro seats I owned in the past. The Corvette also bests its German rival with its reliability, especially for the power train and brakes. With its composite body and plastic interior pieces, it does have a few flex creaks (not rattles) with age, and I've needed to replace the weatherstripping. These are small issues when compared to how the 2002 Corvette cruises through each year with the same agility and power - with only oil changes and tire rotations needed. Overall, a great used super car bargain! If you are in the market, I recommend you search for models which have always been in warmer climates. If you buy from a dealer, it's not difficult to negotiate covered shipment for your car, and look for aftermarket parts/service warranties from reputable providers (parts can be pricey). Enjoy!

Excellent Car
By Robert

2002 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

What it is like on a daily basis?
I love my Z06. It accelerates like a bat out of hell and handles like excellently. Fun with a special passenger, if you know what I mean. I doesn't have too much bs electrical usb, touch screen gizmoid crap; but it has a heads up display that makes you feel like you might be piloting an F16. A/C is terrible, but why would you want to keep the windows rolled up? Very fuel efficient I some how mustered 21 mpg average, same as my v6 Impala. Great car if you like listening to George Thorogood thru its Bose speakers. You are most definitely faster than 95% of the cars on the road, so you will be too cool for street racing. Cops leave you alone, usually, and insurance is cheapish.

Maintenance?
Change oil, clutch fluid, tranny fluid, coolant, power steering fluid like any other car.
Tires can be spendy if your a dingus and "Have to have the originals!" buy some tires like falken and you'll be good to go.
VALVE SPRINGS. If you buy a 2002 Z06, replace these immediately if you don't know if they have been replaced or your life will suck for a while. I shattered one at 42,000 miles and I had to replace all my valve springs, MAF sensor, o2 sensors, catalytic converters, and spark plugs. It could have possibly been worse, thankfully the valve keeper did not fall.
Otherwise it has been very reliable.

Mid Life Toy
By proper

2002 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Always wanted a Corvette, almost bought a 1995 with 50K but it was beat and abused.
Found this 2002 Convertible, good price, low mileage.
Fell in love almost immediately.
Great Looks and acceleration, a real classy looking sportscar.
For a car 12 years old it looks better than most cars its age.
Everything works inside.
Noticed some wear on the outside edge of the drivers seat due no doubt to how you have to get in and out of this low slung beauty.
Engine runs smooth and flawlessly on the highway.
Headlights could be brighter as well as the daylight running lights but all in all this is a great car.

Interior layout, Corvette Emblems in strategic places, Convertible top cowling, under the hood, etc. Engine Performance.

Multi CD Disc Player (Single Disc Player, Really????) No cheap plastic (Cup Holder, ashtray door, etc.) Bigger center console.

2002 Red Z06 bought new in 2/02
By Z06 torch

2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I've thoroughly enjoyed my z06. Fun to drive, comfortable, fast & a great handling car with all the comforts. My favorite "passenger scare" is the 270 degree on ramps here in SoCal! Build quality on exterior is excellent. (AND if you care!: Gas mileage is exceptional on the fwy ...between 27 & 30 depending upon speed). I have had the car in for work...mainly interior problems. I'm also on my 4th battery. I also changed the shifter the 2nd month I owned the car. Overall I'd say it's had less problems than MOST vehicles.

Beautiful exterior, impressive engine compartment, Heads up display, Easy to locate interior features (good ergonomics), Comfort for my 6'4" frame, performance, handling (active handling), pop up headlights, extensive D.I.C. (digital display of vitals)

Improve quality of interior pieces, better leather on seats. Trunk area & area behind seats need refinement, Original shifter was a LONG throw & sloppy, A telescoping steering wheel would be a +, Both dealers I used for warranty repair I had problems with. Chevy needs better follow up after purchase

Red Rocket
By sdz06

2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I've owned this car since new. It is the second Corvette that I've owned. The car is extremely fun to drive, handling and acceleration of this car exceeds most driver's abilities. The ride is surprisingly good for such a high performing sports car.

Handling and acceleration

Not good for trying to talk on a cell phone. This car sounds like a sports car. For weight savings, chevy left out the sound proofing. Good when you want to hear the 405 horses working.