Used 1996 Chevrolet Corsica Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Chevrolet Corsica

Base 2.2L 4-cyl. 3-speed Automatic - (34 reviews )

Typical GM: Solid, but under-rated.
By Olive

1996 Chevrolet Corsica 4dr Sedan

Had this Corsi for 16 years now, and not once has it been to the shop for anything more than an alternator. It's a typical Chevy of the mid-eighties/nineties: an inexpensive vehicle for the masses with pretty solid build construction, marred by poor quality control. But considering how much more I would have paid for an equivalent Honda or Toyota, this was a good value. I spend pennies on repair, not hundreds. I agree with others that the paint is awful, but in my case, the clearcoat is what's messed up. It has swirls and water spots even when dry. Cheap ABS plastic knobs keep breaking and falling off. The interior fabric is also chintzy, but isn't that why they make seat covers...

V6 has good low-end torque, gets around the city good. Very easy to drive - no blind spots. Steering is mushy, but it goes where you tell it to. Almost Buick-like in how soft the suspension's geared. Maintenance is cheap because the mechanic doesn't have to be a contortionist to work on it.

Not an improvement, but a question, as GM's option lists have always been rather weird. This vehicle was bought as a former rental. It has the V6, automatic, and all the power equipment offered on that model year - but no cruise control. Makes no sense!

Wonderful, but..
By Kevin

1996 Chevrolet Corsica 4dr Sedan

My now deceased Corsica has served me well since purchasing it at an auction earlier this year. I have replaced a lot of parts in the engine, and had an oil chance and new tires, alignment done to the Corsica as well two days ago. Just yesterday, the day after getting $200+ worth of service done to it, a rod snapped in the engine it seems. Now the engine is ceased and is not a clunker. My parents have purchased a Ford Focus for me to drive and I will need to pay them back.

automatic lights, amazing fuel economy, amazing-sounding stereo for model year

better build quality for 3100 engine, more comfortable seats, has a lot of roll when cornering, drum brakes cease up once in a while

best I've ever owned!
By Brian Lagor

1996 Chevrolet Corsica 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with 77,000 miles on it. It is now 2009 and she has 112,000 miles in that time off hard Vermont winters the car has never stranded me. It will warn you if it is going to do something like the alternator I replaced it once. I have also replaced the fuel tank. She is the ultimate practical ride super reliable if not the showiest. I highly recommended The 3.1 liter engine it is awesome at 150 HP and still sips gas. The only hang up I have is the heater could be warmer.

The engine and the riva ability it doesn't wear me down on long trips drove 12-14 hour days on trip to California with trailer in tow.

Better heater. better speakers

Paint is like SNOW there it go's....
By AMW

1996 Chevrolet Corsica 4dr Sedan

My car ran ok at first then problems came out of nowhere it runs bbad and the paint just keeps flying off driving down the freeway or at a car wash so embarssing might as well be snowing. Sometimes it wont even go over 25 MPH. I have two kids and it's a shame so much is going worng and no money to fix it. The PW windows wont go down or if they go down you can't get them up. It lugs through town I want a new car and why such abad paint job on 96's?? Yet we get from point a to point b so can't complain to much. I would never by another Chevy though hearing bad storys on there paint!! AMW

It runs. The ac and heat work.

Fix the paint and too many people say it ends up with problems to quick after purcahse.

Turned out to be a great deal
By nenana

1996 Chevrolet Corsica 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in 1997 with 29K on it...it sat in outside storage for 6 of the years we've owned it, but it worked great every time we pulled it out and drove it. Have replaced the brakes 2 times, the altenator, had some work done with the fuel injector and fixed a manifold gasket leak. We figure it will cost us $1000/year to keep it, and we are fine with that. I now drive it 52 miles a day on twisty, often snowy roads, and it handles well with the front wheel drive. We never expected to have it last 10 years and still be going pretty well. We ar soon to buy a 4WD SUV, but will keep this one to drive when the roads are good, because it is reliable, solid, and still gets 20+ mpg.

We like the dual cup holder on the passenger side, and the trunk is roomy for a small sedan. The running lights are good, too.

Not that anyone makes these anymore, but the backseat has no leg room. Good thing it is just a kid sitting back there. Not fond of the auto locks, either, when the driver is still in the car and the passenger has to get out for some reason.