Used 2004 Chevrolet Colorado Consumer Reviews - 183 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Colorado

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

FIrst Year Mistake
By justin04

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab ZQ8 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Absolutely horrible experience. Engine has failed twice. Exhaust system has failed twice.Transmission system failed once. GM covered exhaust and transmission, but fails to stand behind their engine. Vehicle only has 32k miles, 2nd engine failure at 20 months old.

The engine has good power as long as it stays functional.

Better build quality and a manufacturer that will stand behind their work within their warranty.

Not bad
By divo006

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 2dr Regular Cab ZQ8 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2004 ZQ8 a couple months ago. I was rather iffy about it since it was only 2wd and winter coming. I like the fact that I'm one of few with the 3.5L I5. It's a quick little truck and the gas mileage ain't too bad either considering I drive 60 miles or so a day. If you want something to use as utility I wouldnt recommend this truck, but as for small jobs it's perfect. I haul my quads and what not no problem. Interior could use a little work. Exteriors not bad..flashy. Rides a little rough.

Style, not bad with a few upgrades

Overall interior, suspension

It's no Tacoma!
By llamawalker

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Base 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I bought this truck to replace a 2002 Toyota extended cab 4x4,v6. After almost 3 years of ownership that decision is haunting me. The Chevy does tow better and is more stable on the road, and I think it looks 100% better than the Tacoma, but that's where it ends. From the start the A/C wasn't cold. 2 trips to the dealer fixed the problem...leaking valve. Next it was the trailering wire harness,fried up. The dealer harvested a part out of a 2005 on the lot. Between those problems it ate the front tires up. Misaligned from the factory....not covered by warranty. All this with 23000 miles. At 42000 the entire throttle body and throttle position actuator were replaced. Boo,GM....BOO!!

Looks

I checked the 2007's and GM finally ponied up to put a keyhole on the passenger door. Good job guys...only took 3 model years.

Ford Lover buys a Chevy
By Happy_Driver

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Been driving Fords all my life, purchased this 2004 in 12/06 with 90k miles. Wow GM you did it this time. What a great truck. Fun to drive, tight as the day it was made. Put a sno way plow on it. Great truck! Sorry no more Fords for me!

Love this truck. The I-5 motor is a nice fit. Also has great traction.

Colorado is a poor truck. Buy Toyota!
By GB

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 2dr Regular Cab Z71 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

My 2004 Colorado has had trans leak. Front axle seal and front differential seal leaks. Front end eats tires. GM re-aligned after several calls to GM customer service, now a bad vibration has developed with no fix by GM. Replaced heater blower fan twice. Replaced speaker, cup holder, seat adjuster broken. Interior very cheap. Been in the shop about 14 times for diagnostics and repairs. Have to fight GM for them to fix anything. Poor truck. Will buy Toyota the next time!

Style, design

Better quality, better warranty, better service.