Used 2004 Chevrolet Colorado Consumer Reviews - 183 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Colorado

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

First year of the Colorado
By EDP

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 2dr Regular Cab Z85 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Colorado the first year they came out with it. I find that it's easy to drive, reliable as heck. Thought that I wouldn't be able to take it off road but it's proved me wrong many times. I drive 48 miles to work one way and it's held up. I change the oil, tires and make sure not to buy cheap gas. I've even run E85 in it a couple of times when I've been in a pinch. Chevy made a great truck.

I installed the after marked window air-dams, and the dealers, interior grab handles above the door, other then that its a stock truck. I love the vehicle just as it sits.

Would love to see the gas mileage improved or a hybrid version of this truck.

04 Colorado Z71 LS
By Dave

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

We like the truck and the quality overall is very good to excellent. No service problems, a few things replaced (A/c switch and a recall on the stop lights) but overall very good. I get 17-18 MPG everday driving, which I thought would be better, but is livable. Good offroad traction for 2wd with locking differential.

Excellent exterior design, good power for the inline 5, drives smooth.

The rear seats sit a little too straight up, but the kids never complained. Wheel design is a little of a pain to wash.

Colorado better than it looks but
By Matt Risk

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 2dr Regular Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Three months after I bought it iIwas in a wreck, saved my life, but since then the power windows motor has gone out in both windows, one after the other. The interior is bigger than it looks in regular cab. Runs great considering I drive it about 70 miles a day, could use better gas mileage though.

Style, looks different

Bad power window motors

Good little truck
By J B

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this vehicle for right at a year now. I purchased it used with 43000 miles on it. I know I paid too much for it but I have no one to blame for that but myself. The vehicle has suprising pep and power for a 5 cyl engine. I'm not completely impressed with MPG as I get anywhere from 17-21 depending on the style of driving I'm doing. I bought the small truck in hopes of better. The truck will absolutely tow a lot more than GM rates it for. Just towed an 8000 lb tractor home after a breakdown. It's definitely worth a look. GM needs to get more advertising out on this vehicle instead of letting it die like I'm hearing they are doing.

Power, looks, just enough creature comforts, auto lights

Make the grille and healight assmblies stronger. I didn't notice one being broken on mine at purchase do to a fly by night repair job. The parts are expensive and could be better. Lead the industry and figure out a way to get 25mpg average 4wd small truck. You will sell more than you can make

Good little truck
By Colorado in Colorado

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 2dr Regular Cab ZQ8 LS Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

These are a steal used. Has been trouble free for the 20000 miles I have owned it. 21.5 mpg around town 26-29 mpg on hwy. 2wd does fine in the snow. Seats could be more comfortable. No rattles in the interior. 2wd Z85 easy on tires, looks like I'll get another 20000 out of them. Handles great for a truck. More fun to drive than my 04 full size overpriced, gas guzzling Toyota that I traded in. Would buy another used one in a minute.

Easy to drive. Good power to weight ratio. Economical. Good looking. Solid interior. Nice sized cab.

Seats need improving. 6 speed auto tranny with manual shift mode.