Used 2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

Ouch
By JA

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I was pretty pleased with my Colorado until recently. I purchased it new 2.5 years ago. Great ride. Great gas mileage. Good in the snow. The starter had to be replaced after 6 months. My check engine light recently came on. Took it to the dealership. They tell me a cylinder needs replaced. $3,000+. Whoa! Of course the warranty has expired too. This shouldn't happen. The truck isn't that old and I hear of others with the same problem.

Engine Problems
By C Amey

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I had one of the cylinders worked on after 2 months and now after 2 and a half years need to have the entire cylinder head replaced - $4,000, of course out of warranty and with no help from GM. To be honest that's only the start of all the problems that I've had with the vehicle. The quality and reliability on this vehicle stinks along with GM customer service. I'll never by another GM.

Reliable vehicle. Replace the cheap plastic junk inside the vehicle.

Good truck, but noTacoma
By DT Colorado

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I bought my '04 Colorado Crewcab Z71 4WD used with 20,000 miles. I think it's the best US build compact crewcab truck. Overall I like the truck. GM did a good job with the design and it's a good driving truck. So for I've had to replace a headlight assembly, front axle seal and CV shaft, and the auto dimming/compass rear view mirror. All were warranty repairs but it seems odd given the low mileage. I really wanted a Tacoma. I guess should expect a few problems since I saved approx. $6000-$7000.

The exterior design, good size. Not too small or too big.

Better interior lighting, improve the reliability, and more horsepower. Ride is a little rough - but I have the Z71 package so I guess that's expected.

No problems
By Rock

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

The Colorado has been a pleasure to own. Have had no mechanical problems, fuel economy has been respectable, and it is easy to handle in tight spaces. 220 horsepower from the 3.5 motor was adequate. With the locking hard cover it was a pleasure on trips. Plenty of space for all sorts of gear and luggage. Off road ventures no problem plenty of clearance.

The truck's overall size, and handling.

Upgrade interior.

Little truck, big performance
By cbc

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

With 30,000 miles around the corner I still get a smile on my face when I drive my Colorado. I drive 35 miles one to work so it pays to have a good looking truck that gets a 24 mpg average and comfortable too. Reliabilty isn't a worry for me because it just feels like a solid little truck.

I like the mean front end styling. It's also nice that you can get the Z71 package without paying the 4WD price. Traction control helps out alot on the Arizona desert trails.

More horsepower, active fuel management, and E85 compatible.