Used 2004 Chevrolet Colorado Consumer Reviews - 183 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Colorado

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

Good Truck
By PMWoods

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 2dr Regular Cab ZQ8 LS Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new in 2004. I have had no real issues with it. One of the seat knobs broke (my fault) and it was recalled a couple of times, but I have had no electrical problems or engine problems. Some of the people on here amaze me - I mean, what do they want? Not a single manufacturer makes a vehicle that doesn't break. People seem to think that Toyotas are better because it says Toyota on it. Well, Toyota didn't stand behind the engine in my Tundra when it went bad. This Colorado has been the best truck I've owned.

4-cylinder gets good mileage and is spunky. Very fun to drive with sport suspension and manual transmission.

How about a braking system that an owner can service themselves - front rotors have to be turned on vehicle and are very expensive to replace if not turnable.

It's been great
By Bill

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 2dr Regular Cab Z71 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Colorado as a demo with 8K miles. The only item I had to replace was an oxygen sensor that I replaced myself for $60. I take very good care of my vehicles and the truck still looks and runs like brand new after 100K miles.

Hefty appearance, big wheels and tires. Cruise works very well - doesn't lag on hills. OK sound system.

Don't get the traction control. It doesn't work and can even be dangerous. Fan squeals a little. Paint is a bit soft.

Roll Over
By Hetfield

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Had the truck for 4 years and never had any problems. Got good gas mileage and enough towing power to pull a fishing boat. Wrecked/totaled it this winter in icy weather, rolled once landing on its wheels - with the engine still running. Tough truck that was built well, definitely got my money's worth and am looking to buy another.

Truck was perfect for someone who didn't need a full size, needed decent mileage, and enough power to pull a boat and drive through mud hunting.

Different child restraint system. The one in the truck worked, but was an odd set up and cumbersome to use. Anyone with kids and a carseat would understand if they tried to use it - not a deal breaker in my book though.

Please watch out Z71 Crew Cab LS 4WD
By workless

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I bought new in 7-03, thought that since the S-10's this would be better. This is single-handedly the worst vehicle I ever owned out of 10+ GM products. The 5 cylinder had no power and even worse fuel economy. The worst is the front end, Isuzu product that is junk. Replace your front brake rotors and you'll know what I mean - the design is ridiculous. The GM book rate is 6+ hours to remove a rotor. Then the flex hose to the rear brakes broke down internally and the micro rubber particles jammed up the rear brakes and the ABS system. I traded it in before I paid the approx $1700 for the replacement. I called GM with this complaint, they never called back! Premium gas only or sensors lit daily

Front seat was fairly comfortable.

Get rid of the engineers that designed this truck! Get rid of the Isuzu front end. Get some low end in the motor. Put better brake components on it. Make it capable of using regular fuel without all the motor sensors coming on due to fowling. GM wouldn't make the dealership refund my repl gas cap $s

Great Truck
By Larry Gillenwater

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven Fords for 30yrs this is my 2nd Chevy. This truck is great. Well pleased. Good on gas, 3.5 motor 21-23 around town, great for 4x4. Chevy built a great truck in this line.

Run great, smooth ride, nice interior.

Keep it like it is, maybe plush up the seats a little.