Used 2004 Chevrolet Colorado Consumer Reviews - 183 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Colorado

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

Fun, sporty ZQ8
By fatherof1

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab ZQ8 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I wasn't a big fan of crew cab Colorado's (small bed), but having a baby forced me into one. However, I feel this is the best truck for me and have been won over! My Colorado has room for my family and just about anything else we need to haul. Right after purchasing we had some problems with the traction control. After 6 trips back to the dealer they finally found a wire that had the insulation rubbed thru which was causing the system to ground. This was very frustrating and worrisome at first but the truck has been fine since. The 220 hp 5 cyl and ZQ8 package gives this truck a very sporty feel and is fun to drive.

ZQ8 package (17" wheels, 5 cyl, bucket seats). XM radio has been great!

Front brake set up pretty much forces you to have brakes done at the dealership. My S10 and Sonoma were easy to do brakes on. The Colorado's set up is a disappointment. Rear disc brakes and aux imput for the radio would be nice. MPG has been ~20 for me. ~25 MPG or better would be ideal.

My 04 has been great
By Bill

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z85 LS Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the Colorado to move the kids in and out of college apartments. Also to carry bikes and haul small fishing boat. I have the 2 wheel drive with limited slip rear axle. With snow tires on the rear its great in the snow. I just came back from picking up a 850lb trailer in Colorado. I got 26 mpg going out and 22.7 on the way home with the trailer. I drive the speed limit. This truck has been flawless over the last 5 years. Z85 suspension is bouncy if its empty. But with a small load (120lbs)in the rear it rides smooth. The value of this pickup is its reliability and low cost.

Limited slip and snow tires are a good alternative to 4wd option. Unless you are off-roading. Inline 5 has good power and great gas mileage. The folding back seats are just the right height and flat for sliding in groceries.

I would prefer no chrome or silver trim in the interior. Needs slidding visor like my other car.

Great in the woods
By scott

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 2dr Regular Cab Z85 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Colorado used with 29,000 miles on it, and the day I bought I started putting it to the test. I have been through some of the worst mudholes, the deepest snow, I drove right through a swamp once, and it goes right through it in 4wd. The only problem I ever had with it is the transmission mount sits really low and can get hung up on things. This is a great little truck for getting in and out the woods for hunting, or just playing around in the mud. There really isn't anything that I haven't put my Colorado through, and it still runs strong, and I haven't had to replace anything on it and it now has 110,000 miles in it.

reliability, great gas mileage, tough, moviability.

needs to sit a little higher, or change the transmission mount configuration

Wonderful Vehicle
By Laine Allemond

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 2dr Regular Cab ZQ8 LS Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have the ZQ8 LS, with the optional 3.5L I5 cylinder. This is my first truck, by the way I am 18 years old. But before I purchased this vehicle, I did a lot of research and test drives. I love the great gas mileage, as well as looks and good performance. The truck handles well, and it is a plus for towing capacity as well. It is black, with a red bow tie, and that truck looks mean coming down the road. It has good interior volume, as well as OK styling. Although, a few things can be added in the cab to make it a bit more appealing. The fact that I chose the Colorado over many other vehicles in it's class is for the street looking body as well as rims. Well, black does add to its sexiness.

Body Style, Gas Mileage, Bed liner, Color, Acceleration, Towing Capacity, Tail Lights, Rims, Street Suspension

Seat Comfortably, Interior Styling, Better Radio

Excellent for the price
By Mike

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 2dr Regular Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the truck new in 2004 and he went to the test, off road, carried load, pulling stuff. For a 4cyl this very good. I will keep it until he to the junk yard.

Gas mileage and durability

Metallic color in base model