Used 2004 Chevrolet Colorado Consumer Reviews - 188 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

Reliably breaks down
By RB

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab ZQ8 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

If you need exercise, then it's great, because you'll be walking plenty. Mine usually leaves me stranded for various reasons 3 to 4 times a year. If you ever think of owning one then get your head examined and possibly commit yourself, because you aren't well. I have 180000 on it and I'm on my third round of sensors, rebuilt the motor at 140000, replaced the blower motor resistor 4x, the CD player ate a CD 3 weeks after the warranty expired and I've had it to 3 different alignment shops after the dealership couldnt get it to stop eating tie rod ends. This morning it left me stranded at the gas station for reasons yet to be determined; probably the security system from what I've been reading. I have to run around with 700 lbs of sand in it regardless of the season to keep the tires from spinning after it rains. The back seats are unusable and unsafe due to the angle you have to sit at and the lack of support to sit on. All said and done, avoid this truck, and if you have one, do yourself and have it crushed sooner rather than later. Good job GM on losing a customer for life.

A reliable workhorse
By Dave

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z85 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Had my 2004 Colorado extended cab 2WD 5-speed manual truck for 14 years since it was new. It's a perfect truck for handling homeowner chores such as hauling mulch, lawn mowers, construction debris to the landfill. Haven't towed anything with it. It's been very reliable for a vehicle that was a brand new model when I bought it. Good gas mileage - 20 in town, about 26 highway, so close to the EPA estimates. I love the size - fits in the garage with room for my workbench. An extended cab full-size truck would not let me do that. It's comfortable with ample interior room with the extended cab. Forward-facing back seat worked when the kids were small, now the space behind the front seat is good for tools, groceries, etc. No adult should be required to sit back there. One maintenance complaint has been deposits on throttle body that have required cleaning twice to maintain performance, and I use name-brand gasoline. Overall, it's been a good choice for me.

The Little Truck That Could and Did!
By OldProf

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab ZQ8 LS Base Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

This is by far the most reliable and dependable vehicle I ever owned. It is 14 years old and still providing dependable transportation. I recall how terrible the reviews (includes Edmunds) were about this truck when it came out. I bought the first model year when the Colorado line was launched. My truck is actually a 5 cylinder crew cab Z85 RWD (looked at the sticker). GM was out of 6 cylinder engines when they launched line so they offered the 5 cylinder. The rest is history.

fun to drive maintenance hog
By Jim

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 2dr Regular Cab Z85 LS Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Canyon new in 2005 with 30 miles on it and now it has 162,000. It rides very comfortably, good mileage, and has good handling except for wheel hop when the road is wet. For the first 4 years/50k miles the truck was great, after that, the front coils, all 4 shock absorbers and exhaust started to wear out, break and were replaced. By 80k miles, the u-joints on the driveshaft had been replaced, and a mystery vacuum leak started, causing many parts in the vacuum system to be changed. By 100k, most of the cooling system had been changed including the temp sensor, thermostat, radiator, water pump, and head gasket due to overheating. Since then, the driveshaft, leaf springs, fuel pump and many sensors have been changed. The VVT actuator/exhaust sprocket failed and is no longer available from GM and is not available in the aftermarket. The truck is now junk because it can pass inspection. Save yourself and don't buy the 4 cylinder version of this truck, It is prone to failure much more than the 5 cylinder version

Wanted to love it but I'm a Toyota person
By Kp

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z85 LS 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

The truck is great on the highway awful in city