Used 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

2009 Chevy Cobalt LT
By Thomas

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car to replace my 02 VW Passat because it was starting to cost me anywhere from $1000 to $2000 every other month in repairs. The Cobalt reminds me of a cross between Toyota Corolla and a Toyota Yaris without the dorky exterior of a Yaris. It drives fairly well and has zero blind spots.

MPG, can turn almost on a dime

Different interior. American cars all seem to have this weird plastic interior that neither looks cool or is that sturdy.

My gas sipping money saver
By Cher

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love the gas millage this car gets. I have had it a year and it still gets 37mpg highway and 26-27 city. I do 65mph on the highway, not 55. However, to keep the gas mileage great you must change the oil and filter once every 3,000 miles, not 6,000 miles like the dealership tells you to. THIS IS A GREAT ALTERNATIVE TO A HYBRID CAR. I couldn't afford a hybrid so I bought this car and it really does get the gas millage Chevy advertises. Not to mention it's a lot better looking than a Toyoda Prius. The lock cylinder on the car did go at 16,000 miles but my warranty covered that.

Fuel efficiency, shifts nicely, handles alright. Pretty decent car for the price.

As always with the American cars, the plastic cheap looking interior.

dissatisfied
By robert minnie

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

l purchased this cobalt last august and have not been happy with it, very poor gas mileage, rated for 48 and l get no more than 25/26, back seat leg room is real small, l feel embarrassed to take anyone with me, other than these little annoyances the car is ok, wouldn't buy another one

interior design except leg room in back

improve the leg room and get better gas mileage.

crossing my fingers
By Bob

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I like the looks, the gas mileage and the price was affordable. A wheel cap fell off at 10K and at 19K miles, the steering column is being replaced for the second time! Each time for a different noise. I bought this car new, thinking I wouldn't have to worry about car repairs for awhile. I am now second guessing how much it will cost in repairs once the warranty is up.

tire pressure monitoring, 1 free year of XM radio, great gas mileage, rear fold down seat to expand trunk use

replace cloth with washable material on interior doors

Super fun to drive
By scooter

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This little car has definitely impressed me, its performance form acceleration to cornering to brake is incredible especially considering the rear axle is only a semi independent solid axle.I work on cars for a living and have done so for 20 years,the amount of power this engine produces for its size is amazing. Also amazing is the fuel economy, combined driving around 25mpg. I do not baby this car by any means and it still amazes me too get 33 mpg at 70mph on the highway. I highly recommend it,its not real cheap to own since tires are ultra hi performance and around $150 each and up.Its well worth it tho.

power handling and braking, all exceptional.