Used 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Miss my Kobe
By ubbenunited

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought an '08 Cobalt (2.2, 4A) in Sept. '09 as my first car (40k miles). LT package and badging, but much nicer than what the LT lists. I got heated leather seats, premium sound, sunroof, spoiler, foglamps, the whole deal. Put 12k-ish miles on it before it got totaled by a hit-and-run while parked in front of my house (got 11,400 for it and put that down on an '08 Malibu LTZ). The brakes were starting to go at 50k (vibration under hard braking from highway speed), but it got wrecked before I had to have them done. I didn't think anything bad of the interior (nothing to compare it to), but it was a solid car and got me where I needed to go while still having fun. Not flashy, but reliable.

Heated seats, sunroof, white-face gauges (usually a Sport option), steering wheel audio/cruise controls, the kickin' sound system, excellent fuel economy (averaged 25.1 for the time I had it - probably 60/40 split city/highway). Best tank was 90% highway - 31.5 mpg. I never got to ride in the back, but I fit more than comfortably in the rear seat when the driver's seat was adjusted for me (6'1").

Rear seats can only be folded by releasing the latch - from inside the truck. Walk around the car, open trunk, pull latch, walk back around, fold seat down. The shoulder-level release on my '08 Malibu is the arrangement I was expecting. There were times I wished for the 260-hp SS version, but that wasn't in my budget at buying time.

If you are considering buying this, DON'T.
By henniferx3

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Complete waste of money.So bad I probably won't buy a chevy EVER again. I bought my 08 cobalt at the end of 08, it had 29000 miles on it, bought it for $9300..the carfax said it was in the shop for minor electrical problems, and I had just figured they were all gone because it got fixed. WRONG. About 2 months after owning this car, my power steering went out. Next, my ignition
and gear shifter. Then one day when I was driving the locks started locking and unlocking very fast and since then all the buttons including for the windows quit working. Not to mention I have ONE speaker out of 6 that works now. Theres just too much to type. Battery dies for NO reason..All electrical problems.

awesome when it starts
By goin2bluoval

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My 2008 cobalt sport sedan looks great...I get 37 to 52 mpg inst...this car has a ignition problem that GM ignores.
Summer days are worse for this car, you can turn the key constantly, over an over or leave it until the steering column cools off, then it will start...thus, this is not a family car. Its only for going staight to work and back. Do not buy a cobalt. Auto trans.

The Pioneer sound system, XM, very peppy, great mpg's.

There are many issue's with cobalts...year by year. My own car starts only once or twice a day. Chevrolet dealer's diagnoses is electrical interference from outside sources, yet they will not specify. Chevy needs to "Man-Up" and help all cobalt owners, before we walk away for good.

I miss my cobalt
By caguilar16

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sport 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The 2008 Cobalt Sport Coupe is a great car.
I had mine for just over a year before it was totaled in a four car pile up.
I purchased it used and never had a problem with it.
It looked great inside and out, and had a fun, powerful, yet economical engine.
I wish I still had it for it was the perfect car for me.
There was plenty of space in the back seat, and a huge trunk.
If you are considering this car I strongly suggest that you get it.
It is far superior to all cobalts, with the exception of the ss.

Leather, Moon Roof, Rims

None

Don't Buy This Car
By mightymouse4

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

So I baught this car brand new, needing something good on gas. It's great on gas, getting 36 mpg on the HW, but after owning it only 2 years, it is falling apart! I do all the maintance, change the oil before it's do, and treat it good, but it was a huge mistake. I've had to do the front brakes twice, replace the rotors twice, have the door adjusted, put shocks, ball joints, and a Clutch! Even the dealer told me the clutch is poorly designed, and I'm luckly it lasted that long. Now there is some kind of cluncking in the front, and it's not the struts! I'm working one it every other weekened, and it's only an 08! Oh, by the way, GM does not cover a cluth on the power train warantee!

Gas milage is great. I get 36 on the open road, and 25 in DC traffic.

Buy something else. Even my radio doesn't work correctly. I only have left speakers working. There is almost NO interior storage space. I've had to redo the entire front suspension system and a clutch at 79K miles! The Stealership wants $2100 min to replace a clutch. Front brakes twice and back brakes at 79K. And now I have to do the CV joints too. If this were a 10 year old car with 160k, sure, but not an '08 with 79K. Do yourself a favor, and buy something else.