Used 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews - 119 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Cobalt 2008
By cobalt_08

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought an '08 Lt Sedan (4a) in Sept 2011 with 58000 km's on it, like brand new, and fully equipped! Almost two years and 40000 km later I'm still impressed with my Cobalt.
The 2.2l engine is very quiet, yet performs flawlessly. I avg around 600km per tank, barely any road noise, sound system is good.
Reliable on the highway and good performance during Canadian Winters. The interior is plain, nothing fancy. The ''info'' center is great as you can scroll though Oil Life, Gas Mileage, Outdoor temp. etc... all in all, a great car if your looking for something non-fancy but will get you from A-B.

The spoiler is invaluable when it come's to parking and giving the car a sportier look. Radio controls on the steering wheel are very handy.

In exchange for a sunroof I have no interior lights for the passengers behind. The back seats have very limited space, even with the front seats brought forward. The brake pedal has a spongy feel to it, but still gets the job done. The front suspension is very stiff. Have a few concerns with the Cruise control, such as quick and sudden jerks when accelerating up hills, causing slight loss of traction. Upgrade the headlight stock bulbs after buying, as they are quite weak for night time driving.

Run Far Away!
By zwiama90

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sport 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I can without a doubt say this is the worst car I've ever owned. I'm trading it in after a year of having it and couldn't be happier. It has been on a hoist more times than I can count. My boyfriend is a mechanic and is just disgusted working on it once a month. Before I met him I spent $1000+ just in 2 months of having it. The quality is so bad and the car shifts rough. Endless transmission problems that chevy won't fix. Front suspension falling apart at 60,000 miles, bad multi function switch, steering column issues, engine randomly revs in cruise control, and too many more to list. I got stuck trading a grand prix in for this HUGE mistake. Stay away from these "throw away" cars.

Gas mileage is the only plus

Everything! More quality

DONT BUY ONE!
By hannahhhx3

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my cobalt used about nine months ago. So far, two of the tires have blown up while driving, the brakes are already bad, two speakers have blown out, the whole computer system is shot, all the tire moniters have gone bad, my flex pipe coming from the manifold is bad(costing $925.53 just for the replacement part), all the locks in the car have stopped working, one headlight has cracked and water is all inside of it, and last but not least, the exaust system has gone bad and needs to be replaced. Half of the time my car locks up when you try to cut it on, and the key gets stuck in the ignition. There was already a recall for the power steering, but that is currently not even a problem.

I like the MPG, and the car is fun to drive, When you can actually drive it....

Everything. This car has had WAY too many problems to be worht the 12,000 I paid for it. My suggestion, do not even consider a chevy cobalt.

My colbalt
By carm7sig

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car.
But my heated seats went out at 63,000 miles?
When i brake hard going down the mountain it feels like its going to fall apart in the front.
my Passenger side door lock doesn't work.
The chrome is peeling of the interior door latch. Should of got a Kia. If u r going to buy this car keep looking. And if you got to have it test drive the hell out of it. Cause it sounds like some are good and some are not so good. oh and my cruise control works when it wants and my RF tire sensor goes in and out. and other weird problems with my electrical.

Make the wiring better. And whats up with the front suspension. Needs to be stronger. Could be dangerous

Miss my Kobe
By ubbenunited

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought an '08 Cobalt (2.2, 4A) in Sept. '09 as my first car (40k miles). LT package and badging, but much nicer than what the LT lists. I got heated leather seats, premium sound, sunroof, spoiler, foglamps, the whole deal. Put 12k-ish miles on it before it got totaled by a hit-and-run while parked in front of my house (got 11,400 for it and put that down on an '08 Malibu LTZ). The brakes were starting to go at 50k (vibration under hard braking from highway speed), but it got wrecked before I had to have them done. I didn't think anything bad of the interior (nothing to compare it to), but it was a solid car and got me where I needed to go while still having fun. Not flashy, but reliable.

Heated seats, sunroof, white-face gauges (usually a Sport option), steering wheel audio/cruise controls, the kickin' sound system, excellent fuel economy (averaged 25.1 for the time I had it - probably 60/40 split city/highway). Best tank was 90% highway - 31.5 mpg. I never got to ride in the back, but I fit more than comfortably in the rear seat when the driver's seat was adjusted for me (6'1").

Rear seats can only be folded by releasing the latch - from inside the truck. Walk around the car, open trunk, pull latch, walk back around, fold seat down. The shoulder-level release on my '08 Malibu is the arrangement I was expecting. There were times I wished for the 260-hp SS version, but that wasn't in my budget at buying time.