Used 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews - 119 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Follow up review at 15K miles
By Tomster

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have already reviewed my 2008 Cobalt LS sedan once, but I thought folks might appreciate an update. I have now owned the car almost ten months, and I have 15,150 miles on it. The car has performed flawlessly, and I have not had a single issue with it. I am getting about 27 or 28 MPG overall average, which is not too bad in my opinion for an automatic. I live in a rural area, and my driving is mostly on hilly, curvy, two lane country roads and in town. I am still amazed by how that little Cobalt will scoot! That 2.2L engine is amazingly powerful. I am extremely happy with the car.

The great acceleration and the "fun to drive" factor.

The interior is a little cheap, but for the selling price of the car, I guess it isn't so bad.

Leave it on the lot!
By LucySue8780

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt and 11 days later, it was in the shop.I have had the car 15 months, and it has been in the shop 6 times for manufacture defects. Just this week, the lock cylinder broke. It's a good thing I was at work and not stuck in a dim parking lot at night.The steering column, the shift assembly, and the lock cylinder have all been replaced. I am waiting on the new radio to come in, which will actually be the 4th radio. The blinkers and front speakers will not work right if your radio is messed up. Very bad blindspots, when trying to look over your shoulder. Poorly designed overall.Fuel mileage, not that great. Brakes don't last.Chevy, quit making this piece of junk! It's not reliable!!!!!!!

None that I can think of.

Trunk needs to be bigger along with interior of car.Needs to be more comfortable. Eliminate blindspots. Please don't make this vehicle anymore. It's not that safe. No reason to have to have front end alignment and brakes every 2-3 months.

Nice reliable car
By Steph

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '08 LT sedan last May. I've put 10k miles on it so far and it has been a pretty good car to drive. It's handled very well in the ice and snow recently. The remote start option has been good this winter with having an infant. Driving a mix of city and highway, I tend to get about 28 mpg. That was nice while gas prices were up. Even now that gas is back down its still wonderful not to have to spend as much on gas.

Good gas mileage. I love the aux jack for using my mp3 player.

I do wish the trunk opening was larger (hard to fit my stroller through the opening). Also, the visors need to be larger.

Better than I thought when I bought it
By soupysales

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have an LT package XFE (5M), so I've got the electric windows and the center armrest. The car is quiet, handling is solid as a rock even at high speeds, and the hard seats are comfortable on long trips. Trunk room is spacious, but the opening is small. The 2.2 will scoot if you wind it up, which you can do with the manual transmission. This is a great car, lots of fun to drive, plenty of front seat room, and great mileage. Under the skin, the Cobalt is an Opel Astra, so if you like the personality of German cars, you'll like this one. For the price that Chevy sells them for, it's a bargain.

Power and handling are superb. XM radio is a pleasant standard feature.

Telescoping steering wheel

Cobalt
By Sarge

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the 2008 Cobalt because fuel at the time of purchase was at the all time high. So far I do like the vehicle, but it is terrible in snow and ice but most vehicles this size probably are. I have experienced premature wear on the drivers seat at 5000 miles and 6 months service.

MPG, silver color, appearance and performance, on board computerized readout advising of tire pressure, oil change frequency, air temp and much more.

More comfortable front seats, and more quality material in the upholstery other then this, the car is a reliable GM product so far